• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kohler governor gear

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouthworth

displayname
George Southworth
I have an 1860 with a Kohler Magnum 18 engine and had the governor gear fail. I'm finding out this is a common problem. When I got the new gear, it doesn't fit snugly on the shaft. There's just a little play, but I'm hesitant to put it all back together and have to do the job again. Should you be able to wiggle the gear a little bit when it's on the shaft, or did I get a cheap, Chinese made part that's going to fail?
Thanks, George

How did the gear fail?

There’s a TSB out there on the stub shaft backing out and dropping the gear into the engine.
IIRC they are generally a little loose on the stub shaft.

Back