• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K301 turbo?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could use a VW 1.8 turbo (known as a K03) and have a K301K03 or K03K301.

well, my experience with turbos is that compression has to be lowered to somewhere around about 7.5 / 8.0 :1 to make room for more air gas mix in the cylinder and also depending on how much pressure you plan on boosting copper ring head gasket to prevent blow out of head gasket, I believe no more than 3 / 6 psi boost - also consider this piston ring blow by (use chrome moly rings) with minimum clearances for rings to cylinder wall and stress on the reciprocating mass of crank and rod. (Shot peened k361 rod- balanced rod / crank assy.) now for the carburation would you force air into carb or siphon it like a draw thru system. (Definitely a different carb is needed to deliver the cfm and adjustability of fuel metering and jet sizing!) all these questions have to be answered and addressed before starting to make sure the engine is up to the task of the increased loads, however what a cool project I would love to see this come to be! and also consider the fuel type propane is a great complement to turbocharging due to its low temp. for instantaneous vaporization is at 40degrees F. this means that you don't have to worry about fuel puddling as it converts from liquid to atomize to vaporize to be compressed and burnt, the turbos compressed air temp will vaporize the propane for you, for cold weather start up a simple heater element in the gas stream of 40/50degrees F. will pre heat the gas then the hot turbo air will take over after that start up. Also, LP gas emits oxygen as a byproduct so it environmentally friendly. all this from having had worked on turbo automobiles and aircraft for a living. another turbo option is the air research TO3 used on most 2.2L 4cyls. or smaller 4cyls. of the mid 1980's I also just thought of this also, a remote oil tank, oil pump with independent electrical switch ology that will allow for prestart priming of the turbo before running the engine, and oil cooling system is all required for the turbo or else 2 minutes in to the first start and bye bye turbo! I have some old tech data around here if I can find it, talks about turbo, alternate fuel and super charging, I will do my best to find and post but it may take me a bit to dig up the old library. hope I did not blow this out of the water with all the talk, but I hope to be able to offer some insight to what you might be getting into and hopefully you do this because I would love to see such an engine on a GT.

My memory says a couple of folks here have done it ...Possibly diesels??? There may be some pics if you do a search.

Mark reminded me that the turbo is cooled by oil, so there would need to be a separate supply with a pump. Use a quality full synthetic oil for this as the temp in the turbo skyrockets at shutdown, and synthetic is more stable at high temps. Search “turbo turds”, coking, or ”sludge” if you want to learn more.

I learned this the hard way on my first VW/Audi turbo car. There was a buildup of granules (crystallized dinosaur oil due to high heat) in the oil pan that obstructed the pickup At higher demand. It cost me a weekend, and a new oil pump and pickup. I was very fortunate that I didn’t lose the entire engine, but I drove it 100,000 more miles with no issues until #2 son had a timing belt let go ... Catastrophic engine failure.

A turbocharger needs to be matched to the engine displacement and intended operating rpm. I don't know of any turbo small enough to properly match to a 30 cu in engine. Plus, the turbine works most efficiently with a semi-steady state flow. Four-stroke engines of less than three cylinders do not provide this and are thus not well suited to turbocharging. You are better off using a supercharger:

https://hydemotorworks.com/shop/product/amr-500-supercharger/
You'll have to arrange for a belt drive off of one end of the crankshaft. As previously stated, compression ratio should be lowered as detonation will be an issue with boost levels over about 5 psi.

I have seen supercharged Harley-Davidson v twins, perhaps there is something in motorcycle market for a supercharger that may work for this type of project.

Sounds like a pipe dream to me!
Besides, what's the point?

I know that I'm not the OP.... but my guess would be:

"Because I can"

Someone wants to try something different.... Some people like things 100% stock. Some people like things as modified as possible.

Ya know... like the "Correct Police" vs "It's just a garden tractor"

No different that people that drive a 100% stock pickup, or one that is slammed and 2 inches off the ground, or that is jacked up with 40 inch tires on it.

It's what they want to do with something they own. If everyone did the same thing, and liked the same thing, they world would be boring. Some people like to live in a camper.... some like to live in a 30,000 square foot mansion. Is one wrong, and one right.... nope....

I like seeing people "think outside of the box".... and try new things. Just because it's not what I would want, doesn't mean its "wrong"... I can appreciate what they are doing..... heck, I know that I have been doing things "wrong" with Cubs for 40 years......

Has anyone here ever tried to turbo a kohler k301? Or know anyone who has? I’m a big fan of keeping the old iron as it was but I have one that I was thinking of experimenting with
I figure that conventional wisdom on turbos implies already relatively clean gas flow - something that a flat-head is decidedly NOT known for. Then:
>Can one be found of low enough volume? The waste-gate would be working overtime for even the smallest motorcycle versions.
>The heat might end up driving you nuts.
>where would the oil pressure come from to support it?
>Can you fine a blow-through carb applicable?
>Do you have sufficient timing adjustability to cope?
>Will the lower-end even remotely tolerate the compression bump?

So many unpleasant aspects.

Now, a tiny *blower* on the other hand... that sounds like fun.
>Draw through carbs are usually less an issue with blowers.
>Heat is negligible.
>Lubrication can be entirely self-sustaining and internal to the unit.
>Exhaust routing is a non issue.
>Waste-gate emotions are not exhaust-hot.
>Almost no overrun.

Anyhow, just some thoughts form my experience with various un-natural aspiration aspirations.

Back