• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K301 rod

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron symington

k301 rod let go….why
piston.003 and .300 ring end gap…..smokes alot

Attachments

• D5E9FC85-53AB-4C63-9673-B0B687628391.jpeg
    D5E9FC85-53AB-4C63-9673-B0B687628391.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • E11477FE-1DFB-4479-80EE-E4A33B969615.jpeg
    E11477FE-1DFB-4479-80EE-E4A33B969615.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Probably lack of oil, or simply fatigue failure- too many hours, or there might have been a flaw in the rod casting.

Those two smaller pieces look like the governor flyweights. The nylon governor gear probably got destroyed by all the shrapnel flying around in there after the rod let go.

How so? Looks like every broken rod I have ever seen...

Only thing we can really tell for sure is the rod cap bolts were not loose.
most I've worked on have been seized to the crank, busted bolt and twisted cap and along with that i've also seen them snapped off under the wrist pin, but my "guess" is this one over revved due to what looks like gov weights in pic and likely was worn enough to fly apart ?

k301 rod let go….why
piston.003 and .300 ring end gap…..smokes alot
You should note the oil loss was not it and it was over stress on the rod do to the revs too high, the piston end of rod should be shown also along with the bearings, piston was not low on oil either !!!!! Could tell you more from a close up of the upper rod part had failure analysis I and II, from CAT in 2002, you would not believe what can be deducted from a set of jewelers loops 10x too 30x and proper inspection !!!!🔎 Still have both two inch books on the class’s !!!

I've worked on a lot of small engines and have never seen a rod failure quite like this one. The way the crankpin end of the rod failed is telltale - looks as if it may have initiated at a rod screw thread, then crack progressed inward towards the bearing surface. Once strength was lost, the other side failed quickly in the same area. As the engine coasted down, the remainder of the rod shank was beat by the rotating remains on the crank. Keep in mind I'm making this diagnosis just by looking at the two pictures so I may be totally wrong.

How about a little more info on the unit,hours,has it been rebuilt,new Kohler parts or other brands.I had my K-301 overhauled,my tech recommended that rod I had in mine that came from China for cheap should be tossed,I did,I can see what could happen,I wonder if this is possible

The KT17 without an oil pressure and no oil filter are ran on a tilt the high side will run out of oil and gouge up and break a rod, all the time !!!! The good one is the series II 18 magnum with live oil system and filter setup !!!!

That is all too common in the K series and KT17/Magnum twins. Kohler makes those out of a more resilient material, so they should not fail again. For $50 plus for the part from Kohler, it had better not!

s-l500.jpg

Another option is to source a used iron gear from an older K series single. Those rarely ever fail.

s-l1600.jpg

His was a metal one and if you check it was an overspeed, the spring on the adjustable upper setup has changed from time or reset, you always recheck the high and low on a governor setting every year to make sure at tuneup and I always just under shoot the high side setting on all engines CAT, Honda, Briggs, Kohler just by old habits for longevity !!!!! And I check mine twice a year under heavy use !

Back