• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K17; Double gasket the Ignition Points Cover?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
When I got the 782 from this guy, he commented on a few things. One was the Cover to the Points. He has two gaskets between the Cover and the Engine Block. he states that he heard that the cover hits and shorts out on the Cover.
Any truth to this before I put it Right?

Two gaskets won't hurt a thing IMO. Just make sure you have the rubber grommet in the corner of the cover for the points wire. That grommet is hard to find. Most parts suppliers say it's "NLA" but its not.

Anyone ever have a Shorting-out issue?
Points to cover?
I'll leave it as is , maybe even improve on his clumsy gaskets with one thick one I cut out of something that can handle heat.
Yup, the corner rubber is intact. A little tricky to get that to seat on the cover with the wires running through and immediately screwing to the points. I replaced the very sad wire, from the coil, that the P.O. had.
After last weekends gasketting of the valve covers I think I can basically say that this Drivetrain is finally leak proof and very reliable.
Thanks

Both my k301 and my KT 17 have never run into any problems since I've owned them. Changed the gaskets on both motors as well at different times.

Good to Know Thanks
I may put it back to one gasket when I'm in there playing around again. For now, I just went out in below freezing temps and fired it up.. Started up quickly.. I think, Engine Wise, I am Bug Free finally.
Experienced a Trani issue will I will start a new thread for

Back