• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K model exhaust thread

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is your tractor, you can do as you please.
A local exhaust business could bend the pipe for you.
As for "what your setup came with", someone did the modification on the exhaust. It did not come from the factory with the muffler sticking up beside the hood.
I was just offering a suggestion to reduce the weight of the exhaust on the exhaust port.
No one is telling you what to do.
I would hope we can offer suggestions though.
I thought that was what this site was all about, helping others with tips and suggestions.
I sure have received a lot of help from these guys.

Last edited:
Aside from the possibility of cracking exhaust port on the engine, I would be more concerned about the chance of someone getting burned by a hot muffler or pipe. That someone would include me Haha! On a full sized tractor that kind of exhaust set up is inaccessible to small hands and bodies, and not easily touched or rubbed by adults.

Could someone please explain the "vibration cracking the block" thing in greater detail? This was mentioned to me before, would like to know more about it. From what I understand, if a tall muffler or pipe is installed but not secured enough, it will vibrate and crack the engine block? Where exactly will the block crack?

The exhaust port section of the block is kind of a thin section and is not intended to have a large muffler attached to it. The factory muffler is small and supported by the heat shield. A large and/or heavy (also poorly supported) exhaust will have a much lower natural frequency than the factory muffler, and if it's natural frequency is in the range of engine speed, it will vibrate with large amplitudes, which will put a lot of load into the exhaust port, causing it to crack. Bracing the exhaust to one or two head bolts/studs will stiffen the whole thing and cause most of the load to be taken by the strap instead of by the exhaust port itself.

Interesting, curious what my situation is since the stock muffler is still in use. I am aware that it is not factory, the previous owner set it up that way. Bracing it to a head bolt is a good idea, might try and do that. Though there still doesn't seem to be very much vibration, at least not from the muffler itself. (I think I need to replace my rag joint).

Aside from the possibility of cracking exhaust port on the engine, I would be more concerned about the chance of someone getting burned by a hot muffler or pipe. That someone would include me Haha! On a full sized tractor that kind of exhaust set up is inaccessible to small hands and bodies, and not easily touched or rubbed by adults.

As for getting burned by the muffler, I am not too concerned mainly because there aren't any small children around me and my machines, but also since I don't do much work with the 107 there's really a minimal chance of me burning myself. The muffler also sits directly above the front wheel, which is another thing that keeps me away from the muffler.

Interesting, curious what my situation is since the stock muffler is still in use. I am aware that it is not factory, the previous owner set it up that way. Bracing it to a head bolt is a good idea, might try and do that. Though there still doesn't seem to be very much vibration, at least not from the muffler itself. (I think I need to replace my rag joint).

As for getting burned by the muffler, I am not too concerned mainly because there aren't any small children around me and my machines, but also since I don't do much work with the 107 there's really a minimal chance of me burning myself. The muffler also sits directly above the front wheel, which is another thing that keeps me away from the muffler.

You have to worry about those low hung branches also.

Fortunately no low hanging branches on the property, and the 106 handles mowing anyway.

Back