• If you're having trouble logging into your account , you can Reset Password
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

K Clift/ Restoration of my Dad's Cub 147

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
just a little late but shows the process I went thru. I had not seen the tractor for 20 years. My brother in law ask me if I would like to have it, of course, I said yes. These are from last fall.

Attachments

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
A few more pics

Attachments

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
Pictures are not quite in order.
Have to do the 48 in. mower deck still.
Thanks for letting me post hope everyone is doing well.
Ken

kharvey

displayname
Kendal Harvey
Very nice job. The 147 is a favorite of mine.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I'm not being critical, but I am curious why you have the inside tires mounted backwards? If you flip the inside tires side to side they will be "correct" as to how ag/chevron type tires are typically mounted. If you have them intentionally mounted this way, then never mind. I was just curious as to why. For potentially better traction in reverse perhaps? Beautiful tractor!

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
Kraig
I was probably so happy to mount them I didn't pay any attention to them. I'll plan on doing the switch.
I also found a 1972 C10 Chevy to haul her around.
Any suggestions on a loading ramp?
20200126_165203_HDR.jpg
20200320_130536_HDR.jpg

Thank You

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
Very nice job! I am curious as to who and how the painting was done? By my picture you can see why I am asking.

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
Kurt
I found Oscar H. Will III, his article entitled Cub Cadet Garden Tractor Restoration(Cub Cadet Garden Tractor Restoration) got me going. I was concerned about painting because the only way I could do it was with spray cans. As I read his article he said, " Believe it or not, a good paint job can be done (with care) using spray cans." That's all I needed.
I did all of the work on my patio outside. Took apart, cleaned, primed where needed, and started painting.
I used approximately 20 cans of Rust-Oleum Gloss Protective Enamel (Sunburst Yellow), and a 1 quart can for brushwork and approximately 8 cans of Krylon colormaxx (Gloss Ivory) for the hood and wheels. A friend suggested leaving it as a "barn find" but the more I looked at it I wanted to restore. Took me 2 months to complete. I have a mower deck to do yet. My dad would say when questioning me about something, " Why in the Thunder do you want to do that?" I would say, "Because I want to."
Thanks for asking.
Ken

kclift

displayname
Kenneth M Clift
Any suggestions on a loading ramp for my Cub? I am going to use my Chevy to transport to shows.
Thanks

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
Thanks Ken. I have ordered a can of IH spray from CC Speciaties and see how that turns out. Your application methods sounds encouraging to me. I plan to post pictures as I progress.

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
Hi Ken sorry for the slow repsonse. See the pics for ramps. I don’t recall where I got the Amazon or maybe northern Tool. All aluminum, folds nicely for smaller trucks (is Tacoma).

Attachments

dschwandt

displayname
David Schwandt
You will need something looong and or curved to avoid hanging up on the break over into the bed if you have a mower deck on.

Above all, be carefull. Maybe back into an embankment or shallow ditch to avoid issues. be sure to secure the ramps in some way to avoid them slipping out from under the tractor.

Better yet, pick up a small utility/landscape trailer and be safe!.

Rbertalotto

displayname
Rberrtalotto
What he said....The "Break Over" will be a real issue getting a tractor with deck up that high.

Convert that truck to a dump bed and install a winch up front. Simple straight ramps will then work as it will be a perfectly level, no breakover pull........

Or build a low trailer........

BTW, fantastic job on the tractor renovation!

Group builder