• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K-301 Started using oil.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsarow

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Dean W.Sarow
I have a K-301 in a 125.Last fall after lapping the valves,flattening the head,adjusting the lash,points and plug.I proceded to do the fall leaf mulching,with using just a bit of oil.30 weight.I did an oil analysis, which can back,no serious issues.It sat all winter.Now this spring,fresh 30w.,a different brand tho.Now in about a hours worth of mowing,it drops about a 1/3 of a quart.The plug looks dark and oily,slight smoke at start up.Did I break a ring or what?Should I look for another engine,overhaul or keep an eye on it?School me please.Thanks for all responses.

I would take the head off, look to see if it is oily in there, and lower the piston to BDC and check the cylinder wall for any damage from a broken ring.. If everything looks good check head for flatness, put in a new head gasket and plug and MMO in the gas and run it some more and see what it does... Maybe it could also be a stuck ring from sitting...

Perform a leak-down compression check. That should indicate whether a ring has failed. Listen for air leaking into crankcase (through dip stick tube) - a sure indication that rings are not sealing properly.

Check breather for reed valve working properly.

Back