• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K 241 carburetor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack casey

IHCC Supporter
The K241 is the carb on my Cadet 102, which is 56 yrs old. I assume it be oem. Engine is hard starting, the hardest starting one in my shed.
Does not want to run at idle even though I've adjusted:
High Speed screw - two turns counter-clock wise from closed.
Idle Screw - 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise from closed.
Put an ounce of Sea Foam in 1/4 tank of 93 octane and ran the engine at low speed for 50 minutes. Still won't run at idle.
I don't mind spending cash. Lemme know if I need a carb.
Cheers, Jack

Jack - You mention your K241 being 56 years old, I hope the carb had been removed and cleaned and rebuilt in that length of time. The OEM carb kit for the Carter carb has a new main fuel metering valve seat and base, new float hinge, all new gaskets. Most auto parts store sell gallon cans of carb cleaner solvent, with metal baskets to put all the carb parts in and soak them, especially the main body of the carb. A tooth brush or metal bristled brush help clean really dirty places on outside of the carb, small flexible wires can be pushed down drilled passages, the adjusting screws should be removed and a spray can of carb cleaner with a plastic tube shot down every passage in the carb. Don't let the carb soak in the carb cleaner too long, over-night is plenty, I've heard stories of carbs "Dissolving" if left in the solvent a week or a month, or a year.
There's no reason your K241 can't run like new with your carb rebuilt.

The K241 is the carb on my Cadet 102, which is 56 yrs old. I assume it be oem. Engine is hard starting, the hardest starting one in my shed.
Does not want to run at idle even though I've adjusted:
High Speed screw - two turns counter-clock wise from closed.
Idle Screw - 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise from closed.
Put an ounce of Sea Foam in 1/4 tank of 93 octane and ran the engine at low speed for 50 minutes. Still won't run at idle.
I don't mind spending cash. Lemme know if I need a carb.
Cheers, Jack
Ok, carb is a Kohler Adjustable Jet, not a Walbro. Above, I should have said it ran rich. Used the Blue Ribbon Svc manual, pg 1-20, to adjust the jets - Low 1 1/2 turns and Hi 2 turns. Still rich. Just saw in my Kohler Engines (K series) manual on pg 6-14, Low 2 1/2 turns and Hi 2 turns. Quite a difference in low idle. We having three rainy days and can't leave tractor outside as hood is off for refinishing. Report later.
Cheers

Ok, carb is a Kohler Adjustable Jet, not a Walbro. Above, I should have said it ran rich. Used the Blue Ribbon Svc manual, pg 1-20, to adjust the jets - Low 1 1/2 turns and Hi 2 turns. Still rich. Just saw in my Kohler Engines (K series) manual on pg 6-14, Low 2 1/2 turns and Hi 2 turns. Quite a difference in low idle. We having three rainy days and can't leave tractor outside as hood is off for refinishing. Report later.
Cheers
A carb issue, K241 engine on my CC102. Backfiring. Some history - new Champion sparkplug was defective and damaged the threads, got Sav-a-Thread tool, was very careful about keeping it plumb. Went in fairly easy and produced lots of shavings; almost all come out with the tool because you apply plenty of grease before reaming. Then used their insert to install a new plug. Smooth. The mfgr is Stanley and there's an appalling lack of instruction from them.
Go to youtube for "Helicoil spark plug stripped thread repair." Cudna dunnit widout 'em.

Adjusted both needle valves according to spec, idle speed adjuster left alone. Engine started and after warming it idled nicely at 1000 rpm. By advancing the throttle I got lots of backfiring, rpm gauge would not advance past 1900 (think max is 3600 rpm). High speed needle would not adjust, turning wildly in both directions. Did not check spark plug as I have good idle. The carb is an oem Kohler, the number 26 in the throat. Afraid of breaking something I did not use a torque wrench but got the plug in tight with a socket wrench.

Help, Jack

How much air is it sucking around the throttle shaft? Could be too lean to adjust high speed.

How much air is it sucking around the throttle shaft? Could be too lean to adjust high speed.
Answering Marty and Kendal. If by throttle shaft you mean carb/manifold gasket, it be a new gasket. Just got a gallon of Gunk parts cleaner for an overnite soak. Never thought of a governor adjustment, while it moves freely I found adjustment steps on the 'net and will follow.
Thanks and cheers, Jack

Back