• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

"Just how cold is it?????????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
While the expression, "It Was Cold Enough to Freeze the Balls Off a Brass Monkey!" is still commonly used by sailors in extremely cold weather, the origin of the phrase has been largely forgotten. And now, the rest of the story . . .

Virtually every sailing ship in the 1700-1800s had cannons for protection. Cannons of the times required round iron cannonballs. The Ship's Master usually wanted to store the cannonballs such that they could be of instant use when needed, yet not roll around the gun deck. The solution was to stack them up in a square-based pyramid next to the cannon. The top level of the stack had one ball, the next level down had four, the next had nine, the next had sixteen, and so on. Four levels would provide a stack of 30 cannonballs. The only real problem was how to keep the bottom level from sliding out from under the weight of the higher levels. To do this, they devised a small brass plate called, of course a brass monkey, with 16 round indentations, one for each cannonball, in the bottom layer. Brass was used because the cannonballs wouldn't rust to the brass monkey, but would rust to an iron one. When temperature falls, brass contracts in size faster than iron. As it got cold on the gun decks, the indentations in the brass monkey would get smaller than the iron cannonballs they were holding. If the temperature got cold enough, the bottom layer would pop out of the indentations spilling the entire pyramid over the deck.

Thus it was, quite literally, "It Was Cold Enough to Freeze the Balls Off a Brass Monkey!"

24167.jpg

It was cold enough here this morning to freeze the balls off a pool table!!!!

Charlie,
When telling those stories you should start with something like "Its a little known fact that....." Just like our good Friend Clifford Claven.
clappy.gif

And here I thought it was just "Colder than a well diggers ass in January"......

Here it was and is supposed to be colder than a witch's, er, uh, you know what in a brass bra.

4º over night here was cold'nuff fer me !
I think my outboard froze up on the carport , pushin grease out around the prop seal
sad.gif

Well now it's 2:50am and it's 56º - still waiting for the ice/snow/freezing rain to get here. The rain finally started but it looks like it's going to pass NE before we get the 2+ inches of rain they called for. We are getting the 50mph wind gust though ! I want snow! for xmas !!!

Ya know! I'm really gettin tired of this IOWA crap coming up our way! TRAVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED.

A MIXTURE OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA DURING THE AFTERNOON WEDNESDAY. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE MAINLY FREEZING RAIN DURING THE AFTERNOON SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM MASON CITY TO EAU CLAIRE. THIS COULD CAUSE UP TO A ONE HALF INCH OF ICE TO ACCUMULATE. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AROUND 2 TO 6 INCHES NORTHWEST OF THAT LINE.

I had -16* at my place this am at 6am when I was getting ready for work and we had a high of -4. but it seemed warmer than yesterday without the sharp wind cutting through you.

Hmmmm - dare I list the temps when we were in Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach or Atlanta last week?

<ducking...>

Back