• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

just a reminder about mice

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
first view ,seems normal for a zero...second view with cover removed...damage done,both coil "kills" rotted off;carb. covered with corrosion in and out,plug wires missing several inches of insulation,kill wire chewed in half... cost of replacement parts over $150. point made is: just because it looks clean everywhere else doesn't mean it is under the shroud...The rest of this engine was super clean to look at.If it would have started the guy would have run an engine way too hot and probably caught on fire....many garages have been lost to this overlook of maintenance....a few minutes labor to save much

Attachments

• 100_1549.JPG
    100_1549.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1550.JPG
    100_1550.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 0
I went on a service call one time and found $30,000 worth of mouse-chewed wiring damage, and related issues on a printing press.

For what it's worth:
Finally found something that seems to work. Have had it about three to four months. Got tired of the mice peeing and building nests on top of the cabin filter in my vehicles. I bought the 120 volt model, because I did not want anything constantly putting a drain on my battery. I placed it under the hood.

81ihwyKti7L._AC_SX679_.jpg mouse blocker.jpg

I just saw one of these (somewhere) that'll protect 1200 sq. ft. .. it was 120 volt too. I think it was on one of those "car shows" you see on saturdays...

Maybe 1200 sq. ft. inside. Probably not outside. The high frequency sound is muffled if placed under a hood on a vehicle. Thought about buying another one or two soon.
It has three levels of sound, and flashing LED lights if you want. I just have the sound on high and no lights. So far, so good!

I just had an encounter with mice in an engine yesterday. I went to pull my little John Deere 111 out and get it going again after sitting over winter. I open the hood and as I'm putting a battery in it, that smell hits me... check the front of the engine and sure enough, grass and hay sticking out from under the fan shroud. Those 12 horse and similar Briggs flatheads apparently are quite attractive for mice, I think this is the 3rd or 4th nest I've had to clean out of this engine. Just glad I noticed it before I tried starting it!

For what it's worth:
Finally found something that seems to work. Have had it about three to four months. Got tired of the mice peeing and building nests on top of the cabin filter in my vehicles. I bought the 120 volt model, because I did not want anything constantly putting a drain on my battery. I placed it under the hood.

View attachment 149839
Wonder if that would drive my dogs insane

I keep the radio on 24/7 in the house garage and the workshop,I was told the music causes constant vibration that mouse don’t like. I have very few mice in those areas, my other storage building with no power I get mice in traps weekly year around.

Good PSA. Gotta wonder how many small air cooled engines and subsequently houses and garages have been lost due to overheating, and fires due to rodent nests and wire chewing?
Back in the day had mice damage under the hood of a Nissan Pathfinder, caught in time. For years, I've kept small plastic containers of camphor balls under the hood, same for my Elec-Trak, same for the gas grill (they make a home in winter and may like the grease). Need figure a way to protect my Cub 102.
Cheers, Jack

Every time I service the air cleaner on my Ford 1220, It's half full of acorns. I use mothballs wherever I can and I always have 6 traps baited with peanut butter in the attached garage and the workshop. My wifes cabin filter gets packed with sunflower occasionally...

well guys ...mothballs do work but a little tricky to keep in place.Some come in bags with holes so a bag can be placed at random...still a little tricky....I put a bag in my 48 Ford p.u. but on a hot day...whew...it is worth it tho..

I have had the Mouseblocker Pro for four monts. It's still working effectively.
Went on the mouseblocker.com site and looked around. They have a large unit to go inside a garage or building. Looks impressive. They also have free shipping.
I have tried everything else, with no success. If the unit only lasts one year, I will be happy.
I tried the strongest peppermint oil you can buy, and it did not work. Not even at full strength (not diluted). That was a wasted 40 bucks.

Okay. Familiar with the bags. In the Elec-Trak, I used a metallic band-aid box for the camphor. Don't make them boxes anymore. For the cars, any simple plastic container, screwed somewhere, will do. Can always find room under the hood. Again, it WORKS. Skip the electronics, it WORKS. Mice don't like camphor.
Cheers, Jack

The "natural" peppermint remedy is a joke. Sure, mice may not be a fan of the smell but they live in much worse conditions. They will tolerate a little minty flavor.
These new Over head valve engines do seem to have lots of room under the sheetmetal for mouse homes. Single cylinder engines included.
Vick's vapor rub has been working for me.

I can’t stand sitting in a vehicle that has or had moth balls in it, I’ll stick with the radio on and a couple traps with peanut butter. I’ve had the best luck with the regular snap traps that have the triangle shape plastic cheese bait holder, smear a little PB and all set, they are really sensitive.

Back