• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

JD 214 ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
Our local electric shop had an '84 JD 214. One owner, complete with mower and tiller, Kohler K321, looks well maintained, no leaks, asking $1,300. I was interested, but not so sure after looking at the belt layout. With the simplicity of my Cub, I think I'll pass.

My Father married a woman who came with a 214. As he got older, I got the maintenance responsibilities, and would trade him my Cub Cadet 126 when his 214 needed something. He got to the point where he could no longer adapt to the different controls of the two tractors, and I ended up buying my own 214 to trade with him when his needed attention. They are certainly a different take on putting the power to the ground, but they are ok machines if you don't mind slipping belts intentionally. Their engines are good-and familiar, and according to Don Vogt, can be adapted to a Cub Cadet relatively easily.

$1300 sounds high, but the tiller could push the value up. How do the greene guys drive their tillers? looong belts underneath? I would imagine the tiller lift might be rare.

I'd steer WAY clear of the 200 series gear drive Deeres. Belt tightener for a clutch, and that Veriator is Deere's answer to a migrain headache The 300 series Hydro's are an O-K tractor, Not sure where Deere bought their wire harnesses back in the 1970's, '80's, and '90's, I know for a fact they came from CHINA in 2015. POOR POOR quality crmping, have to be careful to not pull connectors off brand new harnesses. I bought brand new harnesses for my 70 & 72 just before Cub Cadet obsoleted them. WORLD of difference between CC/MTD and Deere.. The main harness on my 72 is about 90+% original, not bad for 53 yrs old. Don't know if I'll ever need the new one but I got it.

I have a John Deere 110, John Deere's variator design is not the best. Last spring I replaced both belts (that job itself was a pain) and despite having new belts it still doesn't work quite right. Engines a Kohler k181, runs great, transaxle works great too, only problem is the variator.

According to my one neighbor, Allis Chalmers designed a much better variator setup. I guess John Deere just didn't do it the best... Either way I still prefer my shaft driven Cubs!

I ran into the new belts not working right problem too. I blame cost cutting on the belts. I eventually found a quick way to change them, but I don't remember what the trick was.

Back