• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Islandgirl from Ponchatoula, LA.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! You just don't know how HAPPY I am to have found this wonderful website and to have been accepted by y'all.
My husband has acquired a Vintage IH Harvester Cub Cadet and he wants to restore it. Since he does not want to learn how to navigate the internet and search for parts, I guess I have become the designated parts finder. So I hope and pray that y'all can help me because I know nothing about tractor parts, especially a vintage one, so Please, PLEASE have patience with me. I know I will be asking a lot of questions that will leave all of you asking yourselves, has she even seen a tractor before? 🙃 So please believe me when I say I have, because I have. There is one sitting under my carport and I see it every day when I walk out my door. My husband's name is Junior, that way I won' t have to keep referring to him as my husband.
Junior has assured me that this is going to be our retirement adventure, but I am not completely convinced. I feel like I am going to have to go back to school to learn everything that y'all already know. And even though he will most probably never post anything on this site personally, I can assure he will be reading them. Seriously, we are both looking forward to our new adventure and meeting/making new friends but for now I am trying to follow the instructions that are required for new members. So this is
me, introducing myself to y'all.
Again I can not thank everyone enough for any/and all of your support and understanding bc I will be needing it.😊 Thank you,
Islandgirl

Mr. digger, thank you so much for showing me where to buy new and used parts. I do have some questions that I would like to ask about the tractor and not the parts. I hope this is the correct place to ask.
First I will tell you some of the details I have found out about the tractor from my research on the internet and finding information off of the tractor itself.
This is what I know:
1. The tractor color is yellow, white and rusty. The hood is square.
2. On the front of the hood is the initals IH.
3. The headlights, if we had some, would be mounted on opposite sides of the hood.
4. The steering wheel is mounted on a long pipe that goes into the steering box.
5. I read that you could find the serial and model numbers on the ID tag that should be on the right side of the tractor. And from that # you could tell the month, day and year from different digits in the serial number. The only numbers we could read on the ID tag was 240199 and that is not enough digits in that number to find out the info I was given on how to identify the month, day and year it was manufactured. I did find an online sight with a parts manual and when looking at different parts on the tractor they did correspond with the numbers in the manual. So I downloaded and printed out the entire 360+ pages of the manual.
Then last night I was just entering the serial number into any search engine I could and I found out that it might have been manufactured in the year 1973 but I still could not find the model number. That is all of the info I have about the tractor.
Now my QUESTIONS:
1. What is the correct name of this tractor? IH Cub Cadet , Farmall Cub Cadet, International Harvester Farmall Cub Cadet or International Cub Cadet?
2. If the serial number is 240199 can you tell me;
What the model number is?
Who made the tractor and who made the motor?
3. Is it a lo-boy and how can you tell? Can you tell me anything else I need to know? And if you don't mind, I will most probably have more questions to ask in the near future.
I told my husband that I would buy the parts for his Cub as his birthday and Christmas presents this year. And as I have been relentlessly searching the internet I learned a few things about the cub. I even learned the "History of the Cub Cadet". I know it was manufactured for small farmers to help replace the horse and mule. But there is one thing I haven't learned yet? Should I have purchased my husband a mule?😂

Mr. digger, thank you so much for showing me where to buy new and used parts. I do have some questions that I would like to ask about the tractor and not the parts. I hope this is the correct place to ask.
First I will tell you some of the details I have found out about the tractor from my research on the internet and finding information off of the tractor itself.
This is what I know:
1. The tractor color is yellow, white and rusty. The hood is square.
2. On the front of the hood is the initals IH.
3. The headlights, if we had some, would be mounted on opposite sides of the hood.
4. The steering wheel is mounted on a long pipe that goes into the steering box.
5. I read that you could find the serial and model numbers on the ID tag that should be on the right side of the tractor. And from that # you could tell the month, day and year from different digits in the serial number. The only numbers we could read on the ID tag was 240199 and that is not enough digits in that number to find out the info I was given on how to identify the month, day and year it was manufactured. I did find an online sight with a parts manual and when looking at different parts on the tractor they did correspond with the numbers in the manual. So I downloaded and printed out the entire 360+ pages of the manual.
Then last night I was just entering the serial number into any search engine I could and I found out that it might have been manufactured in the year 1973 but I still could not find the model number. That is all of the info I have about the tractor.
Now my QUESTIONS:
1. What is the correct name of this tractor? IH Cub Cadet , Farmall Cub Cadet, International Harvester Farmall Cub Cadet or International Cub Cadet?
2. If the serial number is 240199 can you tell me;
What the model number is?
Who made the tractor and who made the motor?
3. Is it a lo-boy and how can you tell? Can you tell me anything else I need to know? And if you don't mind, I will most probably have more questions to ask in the near future.
I told my husband that I would buy the parts for his Cub as his birthday and Christmas presents this year. And as I have been relentlessly searching the internet I learned a few things about the cub. I even learned the "History of the Cub Cadet". I know it was manufactured for small farmers to help replace the horse and mule. But there is one thing I haven't learned yet? Should I have purchased my husband a mule?😂
With that serial number, it's April 1968. Post a pic and we'll know for sure what it is.

Welcome aboard Cathi and Junior! This is the place to learn all about cubs. Many, and I mean many, of the guys here are more knowledgeable than the engineers that designed these awesome little tractors! All the parts you need are easily found through our page sponsors.

As far as your questions are concerned, digger is correct, a pic will let these gentlemen give you an accurate assessment of what you have.
And, IH is just an abbreviation for International Harvester, so an IH cub cadet is exactly the same as saying International Harvester cub cadet.

And no, you shouldn't get a mule, they eat and poop alot! Not too mention vet bills are far more expensive than cub parts!😂👍

1668301751345.jpeg

this doesn’t clarify model numbers but the basic visual reference can be useful.
welcome aboard!

Hi everyone! You just don't know how HAPPY I am to have found this wonderful website and to have been accepted by y'all.
My husband has acquired a Vintage IH Harvester Cub Cadet and he wants to restore it. Since he does not want to learn how to navigate the internet and search for parts, I guess I have become the designated parts finder. So I hope and pray that y'all can help me because I know nothing about tractor parts, especially a vintage one, so Please, PLEASE have patience with me. I know I will be asking a lot of questions that will leave all of you asking yourselves, has she even seen a tractor before? 🙃 So please believe me when I say I have, because I have. There is one sitting under my carport and I see it every day when I walk out my door. My husband's name is Junior, that way I won' t have to keep referring to him as my husband.
Junior has assured me that this is going to be our retirement adventure, but I am not completely convinced. I feel like I am going to have to go back to school to learn everything that y'all already know. And even though he will most probably never post anything on this site personally, I can assure he will be reading them. Seriously, we are both looking forward to our new adventure and meeting/making new friends but for now I am trying to follow the instructions that are required for new members. So this is
me, introducing myself to y'all.
Again I can not thank everyone enough for any/and all of your support and understanding bc I will be needing it.😊 Thank you,
Islandgirl
Thanks for joining ! Your enthusiasm is admirable.
Now down to Cub business (repairs )
First thing I advise is successful repairs are made much easier by having the model and serial number of your tractor. Model and serial number of your tractor engine . And finally the operation and parts manual for your tractor and it implements. Read your operating manual for that tractor , is make the operating so much more a safe pleasure for the whole family . Safety first !

Dennis,
I agree with you 100% when you say that finding the basic information about the International Cub Tractor is the key to a successful and enjoyable restoration.
If I sound like I was just joking around, I apologize for sounding that way.
The reason why I may have sounded like I was joking is bc I had been searching the internet and we had been sanding the tractor for over a week and still had no answers. I do feel, like me, that many newbies that can remember their first dive into this sort of process and when scouting the internet or asking friends for info, you quickly find out that everyone wants to be so helpful and they mean well, but they really don't know what they are talking about. They will tell you anything and most of the time it is incorrect. So to keep my husband and I from killing each other over this restoration, we kind of started joking with each other. It was the only way we were able to get this far and for me to keep searching and found this website.
I would like to thank every member for taking the time out, of I am sure a busy schedule, to help guide me in the right direction. It has really helped.
After I put all of your good suggestions to use, I will keep everyone updated to what I think I have learned and if I am wrong maybe you will help me again. But I would like everyone to know that we are serious about this restoration and I have not been looking for parts yet, I am still discovering how to identify things. Also I would like everyone to know that my husband would drive the Safety inspector on a job crazy bc he takes precautions when it comes to every little thing, so just know we will practices safety first. I would like to thank everyone for helping me and my husband and I are looking for many meaningful conversations with y'all in the future. 😊

A good reference is the book "50 Years of Cub Cadet" by Oscar H. Will III. Can be found on eBay, Amazon, and Tractor Shop. You may find it at some retailers.

Hey Cathi, I think Junior is so lucky to have you. Glad to have you here as well.

:welcome: and good luck with your IH Cub Cadet project!

Got some pics to satisfy our curiosity?🙂

Back