• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Is there a prize?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glippert

displayname
Greg Lippert
Is there a prize for the worst follower stud in a steering box? My grandson's 1250 had extremely sloppy steering. In addition to front wheel bearings falling apart, I found the follower very loose. I removed the sreeting assembly, took off the lever plate and found this:

20200224_145247.jpg
20200224_145311.jpg

20200224_145347.jpg

No wonder it didn't steer well.

I originally brought it home because my grandson said it wouldn't run. I think I found the problems there, too:

20200218_123226.jpg
20200218_121646.jpg
20200218_121412.jpg

Guess it's time to refresh his memory on maintenance!

Not sure how I put this in the lawn tractors area. I meant it to be in the main garden tractor forum area. Oh, well. That's what I get for posting fom my phone; it's too small for me to see much.

I moved it to the correct forum area.
That follower is the worst I have ever seen! Yikes.

Thanks for getting this into the right area, Kraig!

I couldn't believe how little material was left on the follower. The carb was really gummed up with gunk,too. And the "wireless" condensor - no wonder he couldn't get it to run! It's nice to know Charlie will have the needed parts to me in a day and a half!

I am not mechanically inclined, but this forum has given me the information and confidence to tear into these old machines and bring 'em back. Thanks to all the contributors!

I wish he was here, too, but he's two states away. Surprisingly, the worm gear isn't too bad, for a 45 year old machine.

20200224_144420.jpg

Is there a prize for the worst follower stud in a steering box? My grandson's 1250 had extremely sloppy steering. In addition to front wheel bearings falling apart, I found the follower very loose. I removed the sreeting assembly, took off the lever plate and found this:

View attachment 136973View attachment 136974
View attachment 136975

No wonder it didn't steer well.

I originally brought it home because my grandson said it wouldn't run. I think I found the problems there, too:

View attachment 136976View attachment 136977View attachment 136978

Guess it's time to refresh his memory on maintenance!
If there is a prize you have won it for sure.

Follow up: That steering mechanism works better now than ever before. The new follower stud and steering upgrade that I ordered two days ago arrived this morning. I had the steering box all assembled and greased up, so it only took a couple minutes to finish it. Unfortunately, I found the gas tank, shut-off, and fuel line completely blocked with gunk! Got it all cleaned up, but decided to replace the rubber bushing and shut-off valve in the gas tank, since I can't get it to close anymore. Of course, the parts will be here by Friday. And, of course, it probably won't be my last order for this project!

Thanks again, Charlie, for the great service. If anyone needs parts, I highly recommend CC Specialties (see the sponsor boxes above). I email him with questions, ask for advice, etc, and usually have my answer with 5 or 10 minutes. And, as I said, I've never waited more than two days for the parts. That's my public service announcement for today.

Back