• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

is lift cylinder rebuildable on my lH 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurbaniak

displayname
Johnnyu
lift cylinder remains in the extended position . Removed from tractor today l could not push rod back into cylinder.

I talked to a local hydraulic cylinder shop last year about rebuilding them. It can be done, but it will probably run about $125.00 from what they told me. They would cut it apart were the weld is, rebuild it and weld it back together. Are you trying to push it back in by your hand? You will most likely need more force.

Thanks for your reply, Yes l am just using hand pressure. l removed the hoses and drained the fluid no movement. l wasn't sure if l would damage it. l guess looking for a replacement may be in order. Any ideas on locating one. l am in the process of saving the old girl.

I may be wrong, but I thought you could take out the hydraulic connection fittings and the cylinder would come apart.
Am I right Harry?

Marty - you're thinking of the optional Narrow Frame Hydraulic Lift, which has a cylinder that just slips apart.

Thank you everyone for your help. l got the cylinder freed up. At the attachment point of the cylinder rod, l inserted a 1/2" punch. I then applied force, twisting the rod a quarter turn forward and backward repeatedly. The rod broke free. Tapping with a rubber mallet, I was able to move the rod in and out. I sucked up transmission fluid from a can and it pumped out. I am assuming that the cylinder will work in the system when I get ready to reinstall it. Thanks again for all your help.

Harry,
I know the optional NF lift comes apart like that. I thought the 149 would have been similar. I have worked on several cylinders at work, and they came apart the same way.

I don't recall if this is 4 a 149. IMG_20200829_210626636.jpgIMG_20200829_210609459.jpg

Robert - yup, that's a hydraulic lift set up for a 149 (as well as 109, 129 and 169). The give away feature is that the spooler valve mounts to the inside of the dash tower. The set-up for a Quiet Line has a spooler valve that mounts to the steering column using 2 U-bolts.

Marty - I don't think the wide frame hydro lift cylinders just come apart the same way the narrow frame cylinders do, but I don't know for certain. Someone on here has got to have the answer.

Harry,
Can't see real well, but looking at the cylinder Robert posted, it looks almost exactly like the NF cylinder!

I know it's not a narrow frame setup. I'm just saying the cylinder looks similar to a narrow frame cylinder.

xx9 and xx50 tractors used WELDED cylinders. They will not come apart like the add on narrow frame cylinder (hose connections) or like the 82 series (square keeper ring). To repair you have to turn the in half on a lathe, then rebuild guts, then reweld. They were never intended to be serviced and are mostly considered disposable.

The parts shown are correctly identified as xx9 parts.

xx9 and xx50 tractors used WELDED cylinders. They will not come apart like the add on narrow frame cylinder (hose connections) or like the 82 series (square keeper ring). To repair you have to turn the in half on a lathe, then rebuild guts, then reweld. They were never intended to be serviced and are mostly considered disposable.

The parts shown are correctly identified as xx9 parts.

Well there's the answer Marty. That's what I had thought, just wasn't sure.

Bummer.
Sure am glad the NF cylinders are not. I have four or five of them, and would hate to junk them because of that.

Bummer.
Sure am glad the NF cylinders are not. I have four or five of them, and would hate to junk them because of that.

Marty - four or five of them!!!!! DANG. Have you got the rest of the hydraulic set up stuff to go with them???? If so, what's your method for finding GOLD???

Back