• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Is anybody having problems displaying pictures on this forum?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchristensen

displayname
Richard Christensen
I'm having problems displaying all of the pictures on some pages of this Forum. I can hit refresh and sometimes get more pictures and sometimes different ones. It acts like back when I was on dialup.

I can go to different forums and get all of the pictures on every page. I go back to this forum and randomly pictures are missing.

I am running this computer wireless to my netgear router that is hooked up to a cable modem.

When I go to my main computer that is hard wired to the router every picture appears.

I recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 on this machine. I dont remember ever having this problem before.

Sometimes a bubble appears at the top of the page telling me this forum is running in compatability mode.

I suspect this problem has something to do with Internet Explore 8 but then I don't see the problem with pictures on other forums.

Richard, on my home tower PC and on my wife's laptop we use Mozilla Firefox 3 and it doesn't always load the photos properly. On my work PC and my daughter's laptops we use Firefox 2 with no problems. I think it's gotta be an incompatibility between Discus and the newest browsers. I'm not sure which version of IE is on my various PCs but it does OK with photos on this forum. I don't like IE so I rarely use it so it's most likely an older version.

Richard- I think you're on to something with the IE-8 idea. Since we upgraded to that, and without changing anything else on the system, what you describe has been happening here. Also, I've been getting the little boxes with the x's instead of the pictures, which never happened before. At least, thanks to the guys on this forum, I know how to deal with that. The completely missing pictures, (now you got 'em, now you don't) is just a mystery to me.

i get this issue on IE7 and IE6, which is what i have at work... it's been doing that for a couple of years, now... If i right click on the X and click show picture, it'll come up... If i refresh, I may get a few more...

OOOOOHHHH....RIGHT click on the 'x', why didnt someone tell me this sooner!
screwloose.gif

Richard:
Yup, saw it, after I had replied to Ken's post... Funny thing is, the problem disappeared back in February after I had posted some questions, so I quit chasing it. After we got home from Fla., things were ok here at first, but I'm seeing it continuously now... My blink on this is it's a network router issue, close to the web server that the forum is hosted on.. I'm seeing it on every browser, on every PC that we use, so it's further up the chain than the PC, or the PC software. I get a chance and I'll unplug everything from my cable modem and plug a laptop in directly, to eliminate my router...., but since a lot of users see the same issue, I really don't think it's a problem at my location, unless all y'all are routing through MY router, in which case, I'm gonna start charging!!
clappy.gif

Uhhhh.....anyone that's having problems... what router are you using (if you have one)??? I'm looking at my Linksys WRT54G settings now...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Was using a SpeedStream 6520 till the wireless started getting real erratic, service provider brought up a new Gigaset SE567 yesterday. The wireless problems are gone.....

Are you having the image load issue??

under edit: I just eliminated all the security settings in my router, still got the same results on the main page (the latest archived, because it's got lots of images...)

Yep...I've been through all my settings too...many times, thinking I may have missed something, but everything looks to be ok.

I believe the problem here is in-compatibility with IE-8 and the software on this forum. I have two computers with IE-7 and they display all photos while I have two computers running IE-8 and they both have problems displaying photos when there are several in a row.

A good check is to look at Matt G's post on where he has been, or the high resoultion pictures of the prototype cc.

I have tried wireless, direct wired to the Netgear router, and also direct wired to the cable modem and the results are always the same. (IE-8 doesn't like this Forum and IE-7 works good).

Does anybody running Firefox 3 have the same problem? I have a friend that builds webb pages and he has to test them on different browsers and he said the new IE-8 and Firefox 3 are similar in some of their software.

I am running this computer wireless on a netgear router also and i have the same problems, but only on this forum.I updgraded it to IE-8 and it got worse so I then Degraded back to IE-7 and still only some pics will show up.

Richard - have you read the thread I posted back in February? The problem is based on the number of download sessions that are started by the browser to load the page you requested.. Note that each image on a page initiates a separate UDP session and your browser reassembles all this into the page to be displayed to you. This becomes more problematic when the delay from the server is increased (due to network bottlenecks, slow servers or any other issue that increases the delivery time). At some point in time the router causing the problem sees all of these open UDP sessions and thinks "holy crap it's a SYN Flood attack" and starts dropping some of the sessions. If you've ever noticed, if you hit reload, it may not be the same images that are dropped. It is NOT related to a specific browser - I'm running IE7, IE8, FF2, FF3, Opera and Chrome at some point or other on 4 PCs and see the problem on every one.... I have this problem with one website.. It could be my router, my ISP's routers or someplace else along the path, but when you troubleshoot these problems ( I spent a few years involved in doing it for a state network) you start looking for the single points that could be the failure..

I have followed this thread with interest and enthusiasim. kinda like the first time you watch a rugby match. I know your all speaking english, I'm hearing what your saying. Is IE 8 like my XP as in 1 alternator is like anouther alternator?

I run IE7 on my home notebook PC and at work on several PC's and none of them have any issue with dropping images from this or the other Discus forum I visit. The other forum still runs an earlier version of the Discus forum software too.

My home connection is Mediacom cable with Linksys wireless router. Work is a T1 line through AT&T. Work filters a lot of sites too. Thankfully not this one ;)

Kendell I guess I agree with you on some points and disagree on others.

First of all I agree that it is dependant on all the links along the way, the software of the Forum, and the particular browser you are using. Any problem along the way can affect it. Back in the stone ages with dial up it was more evident when you could see the speed your modem was hooked up at, and you could almost tell how bad a session was going to be. Some times I would do a refresh and go get a drink and come back and see if I had more pictures. I haven't seen that in years since I got cable high speed internet, especially with the cable getting faster and faster all the time.

Now all of a sudden I have problems with the two computers running IE-8 when there are several pictures in a row on this forum. I can look at as many pictures in a row as I want and never drop any on this forum with my two computers running IE-7. I have bypassed my router and went straight to the cable modem and no difference.

I can go to the WFM forum and look at basically the same size pictures and a page full and never drop any with both IE-7 and IE-8.

I don't know if WFM and this Forum run the same type of software or not but for me the problem is always stays the same (IE-8 with this Forum).

It is probably compounded by the delays along the way but I am going to stay with IE-7 as long as I can on my main computer, as everything works that way.

You're looking at the symptoms, not the problem.. The browser, whatever it is, is waiting to be "fed". If you are seeing the problem with IE8 and not with 7, it is most likely due to the max number of sessions the browser will open at any one time being greater with 8 than with 7, but that <u>should not</u> under normal circumstances affect the delivery of all of the page.....Let's just summarize this - you only have problem with this on ONE website, your systems work everyplace else and you think it's all on your computer?? OK, I guess helpdesks have an easy time with you guys
clappy.gif
(I'm just kidding...)

Kendell The symptom is the problem. The symptom is I can't see all the pictures on this forum when I use IE-8. The problem is I don't like that.

There may be more than one way to fix this problem but the only control I have is on my computers so that is how I have to fix this problem until the problem is solved by someone farther up the food chain.

I've got the only solution that's needed.
Quit doing all those dang browser updates/upgrades and all will be right with the world/forum.
I'm still using the original Firefox and have no problems.
I did make the mistake ONCE and did that upgrade crap and it didn't take me long to remove it and go back to my old browser.

Charlie, is there a better version of Discus?? Although the Forum has never asked for $$ support for the server, I would be willing to send some $$ if that would make this place more user friendly.

Back