• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Iron Gard Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digger, I thought you were referring to the warning that it's not to be "eaten or chewed." :errrr:

(I wonder if that was a problem back then?)

One place I worked we built equipment and we would use etching solution instead of primer.. It would clean and prep the metal for paint.. no primer..

Hey Charlie,

I hate to ask, but did that one make it? I know that others didn't, but didn't know if the 169, or the beer tap Quietline made it....
It didn't make it, neither did the QL. But they were in one part that didn't get quit as hot and They are both almost done again. ;-) The other 26 weren't so lucky, LOL
1626139423036.png

1626139487686.png

I will be the first to admit I do not know how to paint, but I can paint good enough to make a cub cadet look good.
There is a lot of good advice on this thread which will be very helpful. As I am no expert, I just state what works for me.
Painting is a learning process for sure. You can't just take a few notes and become an excellent painter.
Like me, If you do not have a nice paint booth, there are other factors that will affect a paint job. If you are painting outside, you have wind, dust, bugs that love to land on the paint, rain (which will ruin a paint job), etc.
I built a temporary shelter on my trailer to paint in, and works fine. I always spray bug spray around the outside to help keep the bugs out.
The products I use work well for me, and the only issue I ever had was the rusty metal primer made by Rustoleum which does not work at all with Case Irongard.
I have not had any problems with the paint going dull after a year or so, but I keep them inside out of the sun. If I leave a cub outside in the weather, I am not going to paint it anyway.
Here is a pic of my dirty work tractor that I painted 12 years ago. It still has plenty of shine under the scuffs and dirt.

DSCF0692.JPG copy128.JPG

DSCF0693.JPG copy .JPG

Here is a pic of the 122 I fixed up for my dad about 6 years ago. It has been sitting outside under a shelter since then, until recently.

DSCF0691.JPG copy122.JPG

DSCF0695.JPG copy22.JPG

As you can see, it still has plenty of shine still on it also.
I know it was stated that paint thinner is not for enamel, and I do not disagree, but I have had no issues with what I am using.
As for what I use, I use Valspar hardener and Klean Strip Green paint thinner. The reason I use this thinner is because it has almost no odor, does not bother my skin, and cleans my painting tools real well.

DSCF0697.JPG .JPG

DSCF0698.JPG

Some strong smelling items (like fingernail polish) will literally take my breath, so I have to be careful with what I use. Breathing comes in handy sometimes! LOL.
I do experiment with different amounts of hardener and thinner to see if there is any improvement or not, since my painting environment is not always the same. (humidity and temp. mainly)

These tractors are not a $30,000 show piece, so a less-than-perfect paint job won't kill anything.
We all don't have expensive equipment and a paint booth with perfect conditions for painting, so just use patience, do your best, and it will turn out fine.

I don't have a place to spray either...but I do have this10ftx20ft shed I'm sure I can convert into one temporarily. When I get my next Cub project I'll be hitting these guys up for my initial painting walk thru. Theyll be able to guide me. The worst I can do is screw it up and have to do it over!

I use Krylon primer in the spray can.. It is auto body qaulity and is compatible with all finishes.. You can find it at auto body supply stores and non chain parts stores...

Back