• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Iron Gard Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmiller

displayname
Michael A. Miller
I've never used Iron Gard before and I plan to get some to use on my 125. Do you need to reduce it first or shoot it as it comes right out of the can? If it needs reducing,what do you use? Thanks!

I add 1 oz. of hardener and 2 oz. of thinner to 16 oz. of paint. Works great for me.

DSCF0442.JPG

Last edited:
Your best bet is to go to an auto paint supply store and ask the man for enamel reducer and see what he recomends for the paint and temperature you plan on using it .. You reduce enamel and you thin lacquer.. But you do not use thinner in enamel as it will work, but after about a year it go flat looking .. Long story short they are not chemically compatible..Also if you use hardener remember it is an isocyanate and must be used in a very well ventilated area...Also you normally reduce enamel with one part reducer to three parts paint..

Typically your ok using 4:1:1. Meaning 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer, 1 part hardener. The "speed" of the reducer (slow, medium, fast) is determined by the temperature of the room your painting in and how much working time you need. And ALL of your products should be of the same brand so nothing funky happens and you get the color you were expecting. Then! depending on what type of gun your using 8-1-1 is a good mixture for HVLP.

I have been painting since 1976... I was a bodyman and shop owner for 14 years and now only do it for my own stuff.. I have painted everything except an airplane..

I've never painted a thing in my life except with brushes and rattle cans. I thought you were all nuts with your painting...but now all I can say is...DANG your tractors look sharp,I gotta learn how to paint!!!

So none of that paint,white or yellow,needs to be primed?
I didn't say that!

I posted a pic of the original paint and also made a not for you to look at what the can said above the word QUART, but you didn't catch the fact that the original paint had lead in it, so primer was not used back in the day when they were built.

Back