• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Iron Gard Paint SDS

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad McGowan

IHCC Supporter
So I go to the Case IH store and I buy paint and walk out of the store, I go to PPG buy primer and hardener and walk out of the store with product information sheets that tell me all I need to know about how to apply the primer and hardener. The SDS for PPG products which are equally important are available on line. It dawns on me that it would be nice to have that same info available from Case IH. I call the Case store and inquire of the parts lady if those product information sheets and SDS for their paint is available? She has no idea as to what I am talking about she has never even heard of an SDS nor ever been asked about one regarding any product they sell. Case IH does have a website for some SDS's but not all. Who exactly makes Case IH Iron Gard enamel paint? I realize that the back of the can contains a limited amount of info regarding the product.

They are called MSDS (material safety data sheets) And last I knew Valspar made Iron Gaurd paint but that could have changed..

They have abbreviated it to SDS sheets now. Any business that has "hazardous" materials is required by law to have access to SDS sheets. I think you can go online and find almost any SDS info. Don't know the site at the moment, but could find out when at work.
As far as application, what is on the can is about it.

They are called MSDS (material safety data sheets) And last I knew Valspar made Iron Gaurd paint but that could have changed..
I did finally get to the right site with the help of Case IH, I always referred to them as MSDS but I guess that was changed awhile back. They say to simplify things. Like the government ever simplified anything.

The M got "5S"ed a couple of years ago.

Has anyone after using hardener on the Iron Guard applied clear coat over it?
I have been using Valspar hardener in iron Guard paint for quite some time. It really makes a difference in the durability. I also started clear coating it with urethane Clear after an overnight dry. Here is a tractor I painted this winter using Iron Guard 2150 red and 935 white and clearcoated it. The clear really makes the red color pop and it is much more durabile than just the paint with hardener.
IMG_20220226_162647078_HDR[1].jpg

I have been using Valspar hardener in iron Guard paint for quite some time. It really makes a difference in the durability. I also started clear coating it with urethane Clear after an overnight dry. Here is a tractor I painted this winter using Iron Guard 2150 red and 935 white and clearcoated it. The clear really makes the red color pop and it is much more durabile than just the paint with hardener. View attachment 148520
That really looks nice! You must have a large dedicated paint space to handle such a large job. What particular PPE do you use?

Has anyone after using hardener on the Iron Guard applied clear coat over it?
Mark, I would not clear coat over hardener..You do not need to also you will building up the material on the surface and it will chip easier.. Really no advantage..

That 169 looks really nice. Interested in using clear to prevent fading like on a car finish. I’m restoring my Dad’s 149. Currently sandblasted and in tan military primer. Need to fill in some rust pits and start spraying

If you use Ironguard paint you should have no trouble with fading.. clear was invented to replace the lead they removed from paint in 1978 and really didn't do much to stop fading but was needed to stop damage from acid rain... To be honest I don't spray clear unless I have to..

That really looks nice! You must have a large dedicated paint space to handle such a large job. What particular PPE do you use?
I wish I had a dedicated area to paint. I just use one bay in my 32X42 shop area. I use a fresh air supplied respirator when I spray.

Mark, I would not clear coat over hardener..You do not need to also you will building up the material on the surface and it will chip easier.. Really no advantage..
I started clearing my Iron Guard with hardener after one of my tractors I painted with got antifreeze sprayed on the hood when it overheated. Enamel with hardener will still stain, Gas, antifreeze and weed and insecticide sprays also. The clear helps with that and if you use an excellent quality Polyurethane clear it does help with fading. Don't get me wrong, the hardener really helps but I prefer to clear all my paint jobs now. JMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Tom, I really don't have a dedicated place at home either.. I just opened both doors on a 2 car garage and covered everything in plastic drop cloths..And I wore a resperator and a paint suit.. It worked ok.. And I mixed the gloss additive in my paint and I have been using this tractor for 10 summers now as a weekly mower and it has some chips and boot marks from climbing off and on but still looks good.. I show my tractors when I first finish them then I put them to work..No fun if you don't work them!...

Back