• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Iowa 70

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to know about Sperry Engines and Larry in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Thank you David for sharing this information should I ever need it.

Cleaning up the block on the 70, I have been soaking this exhaust 90 in hopes of getting it removed. In the past somebody thought pounding on it with a hammer was the answer. I can get a muffler on it but would prefer to replace it.

IMG_20220501_121558800.jpg

IMG_20220501_121514713.jpg

They are a little expensive! You could fix that one once it is removed.
What have you been soaking it with? Try PB blaster, works great for me. I have removed several that were stuck pretty good.
Keep spraying it, and try to turn it every other day or so. If you can get it to turn any, just work it back and forth. This will allow you to turn it farther.
It did not get in that kind of shape in a day or two, so give it some time to come loose/out. It should come/work out once you get it to moving some.

I know of someone at work who thinks a hammer is the only tool to fix anything with!!!
Then I have to go and fix his mess. :rant:

They are a little expensive! You could fix that one once it is removed.
What have you been soaking it with? Try PB blaster, works great for me. I have removed several that were stuck pretty good.
Keep spraying it, and try to turn it every other day or so. If you can get it to turn any, just work it back and forth. This will allow you to turn it farther.
It did not get in that kind of shape in a day or two, so give it some time to come loose/out. It should come/work out once you get it to moving some.
I have been using PB Blaster, I have all the time in the world.

I have got things apart with PB that I would have bet every dime I had that it would not come apart!!!

Good news it broke loose this morning! The threads look really good. The threads however for the spark plug do not look so great. Slowly but surely I am making progress.

How did the spark plug threads get messed up by taking out the exhaust pipe? :errrr:
I knew if you were patient enough it would soon break loose! (y)

How did the spark plug threads get messed up by taking out the exhaust pipe? :errrr:
I knew if you were patient enough it would soon break loose! (y)
Yes patience. What happened was I took my first real good look at the plug threads. I am learning that in all honesty there is not a lot to the motor.

This is the first decent week I have had to sandblast parts. Was moving right along when this urethane gasket on my pot totally disintregated. I have had this pot for over 20 years now and it seems that the gasket is way beyond its expiration point. Pricey little item $60.00. I purchased a replacement but before I install it I am going to try and locate a rubber gasket to do the job.

Down.jpg

Looking good Brad!!
What color yeller and white did you wind up using?
I hope you tightened up the front axle C channel and test fit it before painting!!
I'm working on a 108 getting ready to sell, maybe take it to the Portage, WI show next month.

Bad runs on the fenders? You gotta have patience! I would bet you got in a hurry and tried to paint it with one or two coatings.
Put a light coat on, wait a little while, and then put another coat on. Then repeat for as many coats as you desire. Takes less time than a "re-do" does. :bluethumbsup:

Looking good Brad!!
What color yeller and white did you wind up using?
I hope you tightened up the front axle C channel and test fit it before painting!!
I'm working on a 108 getting ready to sell, maybe take it to the Portage, WI show next month.
Thanks I am happy with it. I used the Iron Gard Federal Yellow and 935 White with PPG High Gloss Enamel Hardener JH 6002. You will have to dial me regarding the front axle C channel as I did not do anything with it.. Hard to belive that Portage is next month already, this past year went really fast for me.

Bad runs on the fenders? You gotta have patience! I would bet you got in a hurry and tried to paint it with one or two coatings.
Put a light coat on, wait a little while, and then put another coat on. Then repeat for as many coats as you desire. Takes less time than a "re-do" does. :bluethumbsup:
You are right about the patience, lesson learned. It has been a long time since I last painted and this is my first time using a HPLV Gun. I have enjoyed working on it though.

Have finally been able to get some painting done, pretty happy with the results so far. I need a lot better lighting the fenders ended up with some really bad runs and will have to be redone.
"back in the day" guys would intentionally add in runs! 'Cause the factory did it! Guys actually studied where they were and the shape of the runs and worked to duplicate them! I couldn't personally do it.. It would cause me undo pain and agony LOL...

Back