• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Iowa 70

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad McGowan

IHCC Supporter
Purchased this 70 back in January from a guy in West Central Illinois, finally got around to picking it up today. Had to get some pics of it on the truck before unloading it. My family's first rider was a 70 purchased new sometime in 64 or 65. I am looking forward to giving this tractor a facelift and bringing it back to past glory. I have really been wishing I had had it the last two months could of had it all stripped down by now.

3 2 12.jpg3 2 13.jpg3 2 14.jpg3 2 15.jpg

Post pictures and updates along the way as you work on it. Can't wait to see it with some round fenders!

Put my fenders on just to see how they would look. They were all beat up in the front when I got them and I did what I could with them but they are a bit out of round and I may take them to a body shop. What do you all think? I have made some headway today and am doing a better job of writing down what I am doing and bagging and marking loose hardware.

Attachments

• DSCN2312.JPG
    DSCN2312.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Front B A.jpg
    Front B A.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 104
I am in heaven, having started stripping the 70 down, first days and second days progress. The worst part was the two bolts on the bracket for the front pulleys, Difficult to back them up in order to remove. After everything was disconnected the engine slid right out.

Attachments

• 3 3 progress.jpg
    3 3 progress.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 3 4 progress.jpg
    3 4 progress.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 92
Progressing right along and enjoying every moment of it. I would like to know what they hit with the frontend it had to have jarred the heck out of them when they made contact.

Attachments

• Frontend.jpg
    Frontend.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 3 5 stripped.jpg
    3 5 stripped.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 102
Those notches on the axle are from the pulleys on the mower deck mule drive. Every axle that I have ever seen has them, some are just deeper than others.

axle grooves.jpg

Those notches on the axle are from the pulleys on the mower deck mule drive. Every axle that I have ever seen has them, some are just deeper than others.

View attachment 148228
Must be something with the older cubs? Have a had a 1512, have a 782 and a 1862 and none of them had those kind of notches. Belt a bit to short?

Must be something with the older cubs? Have a had a 1512, have a 782 and a 1862 and none of them had those kind of notches. Belt a bit to short?
I believe it was just the nature of the beast, and/or they were used on uneven ground and as the axle articulated up and down it ran into the mule drives pulleys. I know that I have abused my #2 125 while mowing the trails on my property. The axles that I posted the photo of were off of tractors that I didn't own when the notches were made. I bought them as parts chassis.

Last December, among many other things, I had my mule drive pulleys replaced on my IH CC100. I bought a new pair of pulleys from Cub Cadet Specialties c/o Charlie Proctor.

Brad,
Keep a log of your Cub on file with part numbers etc of what you have replaced and exactly what you did maintenance wise.
If you are like me, you will forget in a couple years

I keep a card file on my units so when the day comes for them to head to a new owner there will be a service record.

Got a good look at the underneath today, what does the spec number tell me?

Attachments

• DSCN2385.JPG
    DSCN2385.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN2388.JPG
    DSCN2388.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2395.JPG
    DSCN2395.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 63
  • K161 Tag.jpg
    K161 Tag.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 63
Almost completely tore down, only have one piece that is going to require some heat in order to come apart.

Attachments

• DSCN2418.JPG
    DSCN2418.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN2419.JPG
    DSCN2419.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN2421.JPG
    DSCN2421.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2433.JPG
    DSCN2433.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Rear End.jpg
    Rear End.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 79
You need the spec number when ordering Kohler parts as they made several different versions of the that engine.

What piece is going to need some heat? I have taken several cubs apart, and never had to use heat. Even the front axle pins (what was left of them) pressed out with no heat. Did take a LOT of pressure on the press to get those suckers out though!

Back