• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

International Cub Cadet 169 question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art

My 169 I believe has a bad Compression release. With a new battery in it the engine barely turns over and if it does not fire up than the battery can only turn it 2 or 3 times before it can not turn it at all. Can the Compression release mechanism be fixed or replaced?

Pull the cam cover off and check the tab that raises the valve, it can be carefully bent up a bit. Check the spring that holds the fly weights on the cam to see if it has a broken hook or has come unhooked. Also run a heavy ground wire from the battery to the engine to insure you have all the cranking power you can get.

I had a speck of carbon land on the cam and it caused just enough friction to stop the cam from sliding back when the engine was off. It caused the compression release to remain closed and gave exactly the same symptoms you are experiencing. I rinsed off the cam ,changed the oil and it's worked fine for the last 10 years.

Back