• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Installing Nelson Noise Reduction Muffler on a 128

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rMark

Hey guys, I recently bought the noise reduction muffler for my 128. It seems as though it will be hard to fit under the hood. Does anyone know how this muffler was designed to be installed? Thanks guys

Hey guys, I recently bought the noise reduction muffler for my 128. It seems as though it will be hard to fit under the hood. Does anyone know how this muffler was designed to be installed? Thanks guys
Have you tried to install it?

Not really, I just threaded in a straight nipple. I'm not sure what angle would clear the pto bar but still fit under the plate

Attachments

• 15932389758016595685646223502018.jpg
    15932389758016595685646223502018.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 398
The old IH part number is 59366C1. In the pictures it looks like a straight nipple. You might have to tweak the inlet on the muffler a little if it's not welded in exactly right. Never did one, just guessing here.

hmmm- guess I disagree with Matt. I believe the tractor came with the non-suppression muffler so you need the straight nipple as shown in the parts diagram, as Bill mentioned it's #121.

As you can see in rMark's pic showing the noise suppression muffler, it comes with an angled inlet pipe welded on, which is why you use a straight nipple to connect to the engine. The standard muffler comes with a straight inlet (shown in Marty G's last pic) which is why it requires the elbow style pipe that came on the original engine.

Not only that, to keep the muffler stable and not just held on by the muffler clamp, you need the special noise suppression heat shield (similar to the one that came with a 169). It's not shown in the parts diagram but is mentioned under the description of item #116. I don't know if you could modify the original heat shield (drill a hole) to hold the suppression muffler, but would highly recommend it if using the original heat shield.

Last edited:
rMark - Marty Gwin's pics show a standard muffler not a noise suppression. I'll attach a few "old" pics of my 169 which is how your 128 should look. Because I couldn't find the 169 muffler at the time I restored mine I initially used a muffler very similar to the one you have with the elbow inlet, and I used the straight nipple coming out of the block. These pics aren't great but you can see the nipple and how the muffler is clamped on.

Your can also see the heat shield above the muffler that is a similar design to what your 128 should have.

Sorry I can't take any current pics now since I changed it over to the correct 169 muffler. Hope these help.
exhaust pipe and clamp.JPG
muffler 1.jpg
new169i.JPG

Last edited:
Harry,

I see the N.S. muffler is located higher than the standard one. The standard heat shield may not work with the NS muffler, since it is pretty much flush with the top of the engine. A heat shield like the one on your 169 would probably need to be used instead. It has what looks to be a 1 to 1-1/2 inch offset on it.
Did you use this same heat shield and exhaust nipple when you put the standard muffler on it?
My "stack" worked really well concerning noise suppression! LOL.

Marty, et al - sorry if this gets confusing. I should have mentioned right from the start that the 169 comes standard with a noise suppression muffler. The heat shield in my pics above was fabricated as an exact copy of an original 169 heat shield (except the mounting holes were not elongated). I've seen pics of the noise suppression heat shield for the remainder of the 1x8/9 series and the shape looks exactly the same as the 169. The only difference I can see is the mounting holes and spark plug cutout, which are in slightly different locations to match the 9 bolt head on a 12hp or 14hp versus the 10 bolt head on a 16hp.

Marty - nope, I'm just saying I've seen the NS muffler and heat shield that was "optional" for the 128 and other 1x8/9 tractors. The 169 came standard with what I describe as a very similar version of the Noise Suppression muffler and heat shield (and for that matter the sealed air cleaner with 2 holes in the bottom) that were optional on the 1x8/9. I don't know if you could order the tractor new from the factory with the noise suppression items. The NS Muffler, heat shield and air cleaner are all detailed in the parts listing.

After seeing those pics of that 169, i have to ask, do you guys actually use these tractors after you get them looking that good?

After seeing those pics of that 169, i have to ask, do you guys actually use these tractors after you get them looking that good?

I don't think that Hydro has used his 169, but I use my Original that I refurbished.

K4K_01.jpg
K4K_02.jpg

Hey Tim - nope, the 169 falls under the category of "Trailer Queen". She gets run once or twice a year.:drool:

Back