• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Installing Magnum 18hp Kohler in 682 Cadet

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdtaylor

I am installing a Magnum 18hp Kohler in my 682 Cadet. Is it necessary that the mounting plate which is the same for the KT17 Kohler be used for the 18hp?
If the mounting plate is not used, could there be a clearance or alignment problem?

Without the mounting plate, there is nothing to mount the engine to.

There are also some 1/2" long spacers between the engine and plate on the mounting bolts.

Someone should make those spacers larger (not taller). Mine dug into the oil pan. I ended up using nuts as substitutes. Overall height is very close as I recall, and spread out over a larger surface area. I personally think they should be paired front and rear, or right and left.

I’ll take a look next time I take the engine out...(planned anyway, but molasses and I are related).

Well maybe a P.O. put in the wrong thing. Those look and their dimensions ARE larger than what came with mine.

My confidence in IH has been restored.

I recently replaced a couple of these in one of my tractors, since the bolts loosened, and they were missing. Since the engine was not sitting at the correct angle, it wore the driveshaft couplings, so those needed replacement too. It had no unusual wear on the engine mounting surfaces. These were about $8 each from Cub Cadet.

My hardware store had these nice 3/4" OD x 3/8" ID x 0.5" tall spacers that were less than $2 each. The driveline will likely not notice the extra 0.031" of height.

Back