• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Installing an electric power steering in my 1440.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Trammell

Now have the 451 on tractor - works great, however it takes a lot of muscle to steer the unit. Has anyone ever taken an electric steering and adapting it to the 1400 and if so would you identify what you did it with and issues in completing the job. Thank you all in advance

Better question yet - is there a model of this cyclops - wide frame - that came with factory power steering? If so - would this be a straight forward (bolt-on) addition. Question I would have up front is "will my hydrostatic unit be able to supply the hydraulic pressure since my unit is an early one 1440?

Yes, 1862 and 1864 were the non Supers with factory power steering. Issue is that your hydro unit is not equipped to handle either power steering or hydraulic deck lift. It would be far easier to buy a nice 1862/1864 and sell your 1440.

I've seen on you tube a electric power steer box from a early 2000s dodge neon put to gt steering with a simple controller sold on ebay that looks like it might fit you needs. Search it on you tube it can be done pretty easily from what I have seen I may have the controller saved if I can find it I will post for you it was like 75 dollars for controller plus cost of steering box

Interesting - however the current draw is a little heavy as I am not sure the 1440 has enough capacity sustain that draw. If I knew how to research the brand of a more compact system along with current draw that would a lot smaller --- does the toyota, honda, etc have a more suitable one?

Thank you- I am exploring the possibility of locating a compact more efficient (less current draw) brand. I do not have a fabrication shop so need to explore possibilities of bolt on, and parts that will adapt to my need. (asking a lot, eh)

I have installed hydraulic power steering on a 782 and a 1450 with bolt on parts and custom hoses but both of these had ported pumps so I was able to plumb into that circuit.

I gave $50 for an electric power steering pump for a 15-19 Kia Soul. It has the controller and pump all in one unit and runs off 12 volts.
I'm slowly gathering parts to do an electric conversion on a cub and I'm planning to install it under a 782 dash tower.

2022-10-05 08.40.42.jpg

Yeah - immediately after pushing "post" - i realized that. I may round up the little bearings and install them onto the front wheel hubs and then try these tires. Problem is this; Once I turned 80 I have found that most of my arm strength has eroded to the point a 40 pound bag of salt feels like 100 now. Frustrating and thank you

Yeah - immediately after pushing "post" - i realized that. I may round up the little bearings and install them onto the front wheel hubs and then try these tires. Problem is this; Once I turned 80 I have found that most of my arm strength has eroded to the point a 40 pound bag of salt feels like 100 now. Frustrating and thank you
I understand "turned 80" same with me

Back