• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Info/ Opinions on the 3205 and 3208 CC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
Guys,
I'm interested in purchasing a series 3000 tractor, and the Kawasaki powered tractors intrigue me. That liquid cooled motor seems to have a great track record except for the "plastic" cam gears. What about the rest of the tractor? Does it have the 15U pump or a newer(cheaper) version. How tough is the rear end compared to the old IH design. I know that the 3205 had an aluminum rear and the 3208 was cast iron. Do any of you own one or the other? What kind of "heavy" work have you used them for and how have they stood up to the work? If so what do you think? It seems like a tractor that my wife would enjoy driving too since she prefers the foot control of the super light duty 1050 that I sold last year. It also has the power steering and full hydraulics and I would think that would make it easier to operate. However with those complex systems, there are more things to go wrong.

I think the 3000 series tractor are good machines, heavy duty too. I feel, at least on paper, they have some advantages. Foot control for one. I like the drive shaft to the deck - especially if you are mowing tall grass. I don't have a shaft driven deck, only belt drive and I've never spun a deck belt (spindle to spindle belt), but I have spun the engine to deck belt on some of my higher hp garden tractors. My Dad has a camp and often the only time available to mow the grass is early morning on a Saturday - every other week. The tall wet grass can overload a belt driven deck - where I should think a shaft driven deck would only be limited by engine hp.

Foot control is great - especially for my Wife and kids and is very safe.

Sooo - if you can find a deal on a 3000 series tractor, I think you will like it. I don't know if I'd be to concerned about aluminum vs cast iron tranny's on these tractor - but again, I don't own one so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Bill, I appreciate it. We had, what I thought, a really great deal come up on a 3205 locally. It had a had cab with heat, snow blower, sweeper, 54" deck with very little use, wheel weights, chains, and rear bracket with suitcase weights, full hydraulics, with a total of just under 700 hours for 2K. I felt that was a decent deal but I just didn't have the coin to make it happen. One day I will get a "Kawi" powered 3000 series but I guess it wasn't my time yet. My wife much prefers the foot controlled hydro. I'm hoping that she will learn to like the 682 Cubbie that I'm getting closer to finishing but I'm not holding my breath at this juncture.

Josh, # 2 son has 3204, tiller,snowthrower, hyd angling blade,Cat.O 3 point & mower. He likes it better than my 1811 that I gifted to him. He EB ed it to some crazy from out east who drove alot of miles.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Thanks Paul--What is up with those ungrateful kids?
bottom.gif
On the other hand, that speaks volumes about the 3000 series tractors. They seem to be very capable machines and fairly durable machines. I guess we'll see how the electrical systems hold up through the years. Did your kids grow up with you owning Cubs? Just curious how long you've owned and used them?

Doesn't the 3000 Series have the BDU21L pump instead of the BDU15L system? Seven pistons instead of nine in the cylinder block kit. Rear charge pump. I'll stick with the 15 Series from personal preference.
happy.gif

Josh, got 1st CC back in '73, a new 128, when I still worked at an IH dealer & got very good deal back then...
Shift.gif

Marlin--Thanks for weighing in on the hydro situation. I was afraid that the 15U wasn't still in that series. You can rest assured that I'm not trading in my old school Cubs for a new one. I'm just thinking of adding a new one to my "den" since I think the wife would be the most happy using a newer model. What do you think of the BDU21L pumps? what has there track record been if you aren't comparing them to the incredible 15U?

Paul--That is really cool! Where was the dealership that you worked at if you don't mind me asking? What is the latest model of CC that you have personally owned? Why did you elect to go with a gear shift tractor instead of a hydro? I know, almost ever post that you make has this emoticon,
Shift.gif
!!! You just like slamming the gears?!?
cubwinker.gif

Joshua S. The BDU21L is a good unit only in my personal thoughts it isn't as rugged as the 15U. I'm pretty sure that it won't hold up as long as the 15U using it at Plow Days and the heavy duty jobs. It's hard to explain and understand however when the pump is rotating there is actually a series of waves created by the action of the pistons taking the oil in and then forcing it out as the cylinder block kit revolves. The 15U has nine pistons while the 21L has seven. Thus a "smoother" wave or flow is being created within the system. As for adding to your collection. That tractor is still a pretty nice outfit for mowing and say general yard and snow removal and I think both you and your wife will love it. It will create brownie points for you to have a happy wife.
happy.gif

Thanks Marlin for the info, I know that you've probably explained that a thousand times but I certainly appreciate it. I agree whole hearted on the happy wife thing!!!! Now that's a good call
worthy.gif

Good Morning, Joshua. You're very welcome. I'm glad to help. My honest thoughts are the 3000 Series will outlast the 2011 and newer Cub Cadet garden tractors with the BDU10L Series. Plus they look much better.

Josh, $1.75 -$2.50 per hour has its limits even with a great deal. Martinson Impl. Brooklyn, now Carter & Greunewald Co. still rural Brooklyn , but in newer building.
ihrotate.gif

Marlin--I couldn't agree more! I was so frustrated when I was in at our CC dealer and he had a carryover LTX2154 from last year. It has CHINA stamped into the cast iron axle tube in plain view. I love my old Cubs where everything was made in the USA including the brochure and manual
1AA_dance2.gif
This is the unfortunate day we live in I guess.

Paul--Thanks for the info. That is really interesting. My dad was working for Chief in the mid 70's and elected to buy an old Wheel Horse trade in because he couldn't afford a Cub. You bested him! When did you sell that 128?

Josh...1978 when I traded for new IH 1450 w/dual hydraulics, the hydro was easier to mow & Easy-Vac, since I maintained about a dozen properties (with dad) along with my day job. I got to use it because first time Dad took it mowing on a job he got too close to a Birch tree. After that episode he declined further seat time.
Shift.gif
more time for me!

Back