• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IHCC 127 electrical. Dumber than I look

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert White

displayname
IHCC 100 Conan NoBrian
I've got a 127 that is giving me electrical anxiety

I'm not good with electrical so use small words please

This has been a slow, many year project and I'm trying to get ready for winter

Problem: When I connect the battery the S/G starts turning over, not at starting speed but persistent

What I've done: I ordered and installed a new wiring harness. I believe the problem existed before the rewiring, it was the original harness and had many places where insulation was long gone. I thought I was dealing with shorting between bare wires. Marginally displeased after I got all the wire ran and connected (I followed the schematic faithfully) and I connected the battery and the S/G starts to spin

I pulled the ignition switch out of the circuit. No change

The solenoid and VR are new, replaced last year. I tested the solenoid and it aggressively clicks when activated.

It makes no sense to me why this is happening. I'm in hopes that it is a stupid over sight

Please help, and apply as much ridicule as is needed to get to a solution.

In addition, I also have a IHCC 100 that I replaced the wire harness on before I replaced the 127 harness. The 100 runs really well, so I have had success with something

Last edited:
You likely have the voltage regulator wired wrong. Make sure you have the correct wires going to the correct terminals. If it's a new one, the "GEN" terminal is likely on the back instead of on the side like the original one. If you have not replaced it, it is possible one set of contacts inside the regulator are stuck closed.

I struggle some with electrical stuff too. Don't give up you will get it. Looks like you already have some good advice to follow.

Here's pictures of the VR and the wiring

In the process of removing wires to take pictures of the posts I lost the magic screw in the dirt

I included pictures of my GT's

I'll get current pictures when I get back to chasing the electrical Issue on the 127

And I have already turned the hood ornament on the 100

Attachments

• 20220920_084339.jpg
    20220920_084339.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220920_085213.jpg
    20220920_085213.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220920_084357.jpg
    20220920_084357.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201218_141357~2.jpg
    20201218_141357~2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201218_141339~2.jpg
    20201218_141339~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Here's pictures of the VR and the wiring

In the process of removing wires to take pictures of the posts I lost the magic screw in the dirt

I included pictures of my GT's

I'll get current pictures when I get back to chasing the electrical Issue on the 127

And I have already turned the hood ornament on the 100
I bet the lights on that 100 are bright!
I’m lucky to have scored an OEM headlight assembly for my 100, need to gittum installed before snow season.
Good luck with the wiring issue. 🤞🏼🚜💨

I think I can see your problem...you should only have 3 wires going to the voltage regulator. BAT, GEN, and F. The GEN terminal is on the back; the other two are on the side. The L terminal is not used.

Did you polarize the the generator to the system when you hooked up the voltage regulator, every-time, I changed a generator or regulator I make sure it polarized properly, just to make sure !!!! 6v and 12v. An old dogs two cents if all wires are right, that’s all that’s left along with a ground Continuity check !!!

I connected the generator wire to the bottom of the VR, as suggested by mgonitzke, and the tractor didn't spark when the battery was introduced to the system!!!

The ignition switch did not activate the S/G, I considered many violent coping mechanisms.

After I decided to not engage in those alternative actions, I energized the S/G directly and the thing turned over!!!

I've learned so much more about this electrical system than I wanted, sometimes the education pays off..

The tractor runs great!!

I think I've had 3 problems complicating the diagnosis.
1. Disintegrating wiring harness
2. Old starter switch
3. Wrong Voltage Regulator

I had been sold the wrong VR and didn't know it. My confusion with the 100 and the 127 differences.

I have ordered a new key switch and proper VR. They should be here this week and I'll get them installed.

I'll post updated pictures when the new parts are installed.

Mark Evans

If I understand your question, I think this VR grounds through the feet.

It states on the side of the plastic shroud that it grounds positive or negative

I've ordered the proper VR for the 127 so this one will be backup for the 100

I connected the generator wire to the bottom of the VR, as suggested by mgonitzke, and the tractor didn't spark when the battery was introduced to the system!!!

The ignition switch did not activate the S/G, I considered many violent coping mechanisms.

After I decided to not engage in those alternative actions, I energized the S/G directly and the thing turned over!!!

I've learned so much more about this electrical system than I wanted, sometimes the education pays off..

The tractor runs great!!

I think I've had 3 problems complicating the diagnosis.
1. Disintegrating wiring harness
2. Old starter switch
3. Wrong Voltage Regulator

I had been sold the wrong VR and didn't know it. My confusion with the 100 and the 127 differences.

I have ordered a new key switch and proper VR. They should be here this week and I'll get them installed.

I'll post updated pictures when the new parts are installed.
Here’s a wiring diagram that may help. The ground wire on my 147 is connected to the top bolt of VR along with the ground wire of the lights.

Attachments

• 125624-217198.jpg
    125624-217198.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
You stayed with it and had a learning experience, that’s old school action always double check all parts and wiring hookups for insurance !!!! You go !!!

Pictures of newly installed, proper, VR

To my ear it sounds like the tractor is running smoother, probably just relief that the parts worked 😅
20220928_110226.jpg
20220928_110231.jpg
20220928_110235.jpg
20220928_110255.jpg
20220928_110301.jpg

Attachments

• 20220928_110255.jpg
    20220928_110255.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Quick question on voltage gauge

Does this look right while tractor is running?

Still plenty to learn and work through 🤯🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 20220928_110206.jpg
    20220928_110206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
No...should be showing a charge. It's either wired backwards or the generator is not charging. (or the gauge is broken). Also, that is an ammeter, not a voltmeter.

Temporarily ground the "F" terminal on the starter/generator while the engine is running at full throttle. It should peg to the charge side of the gauge. If it does, you have a wiring issue or the regulator is not working. If not, the field coils in the starter/generator need replacing.

Check the back of gage you my have hooked the wires inverted it’s showing discharge
Check the wiring diagram I sent you. The wire from the solenoid to the amp meter should be to the positive side of the meter. The wire from the switch should be on the negative side.

Also it looks lIke there are two wires hooked up to the gen on the voltage regulator. I‘m not positive but I believe the purple wire is for the lights and should be hooked up to the light bulb terminal. Does the orange wire go to the A post on the generator?

Back