• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH versus CCC built quality

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Kamm

Hi, I’m new to the forum and the Cadet line up. I’m looking at purchasing either a 282 or 382 hydro and don’t have access to the serial numbers yet. Is there any way to tell if IH produced it by looking at them? They are both red, black axles, and have the IH emblem on the grill. Was there a drop off in quality when they sold to MTD? Thanks for any help someone can provide.
Brad

Hi, I’m new to the forum and the Cadet line up. I’m looking at purchasing either a 282 or 382 hydro and don’t have access to the serial numbers yet. Is there any way to tell if IH produced it by looking at them? They are both red, black axles, and have the IH emblem on the grill. Was there a drop off in quality when they sold to MTD? Thanks for any help someone can provide.
Brad
Little to no dif between those little guys. (y)

yes about the same. Both are fairly cheap lawn tractors though. At this point they are both basically collectors items vs machines you’d actually want to use.

Some of them had mower spindle brakes that were problematic. I think there was an updated spindle released, but keep in mind that was 40 years ago.

The serial number tag should say International Harvester right on it. If it's unintelligible the IH tags were smaller than the CCC tags.

Finally bought my first tractor, an all original 182 with mower deck.
B8F1E1B8-F7E0-4B11-996A-1850132D1F4F.jpeg

Geez, didn't you say the hard part was finding one to buy. Looks like it took you less than a month. Although the 182 in the picture is a little distant it does look like it's in nice condition. By the way, the scenery in the picture is quite pretty as well (I'm in the AZ desert).

Ya, it popped up on CL just a couple days after I posted my question. It’s all about timing! It’s in pretty good shape, normal wear and tear. Fall colors in full bloom here.

Back