Quantcast
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

IH versus CCC built quality

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Brad Kamm

Hi, I’m new to the forum and the Cadet line up. I’m looking at purchasing either a 282 or 382 hydro and don’t have access to the serial numbers yet. Is there any way to tell if IH produced it by looking at them? They are both red, black axles, and have the IH emblem on the grill. Was there a drop off in quality when they sold to MTD? Thanks for any help someone can provide.
Brad

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Hi, I’m new to the forum and the Cadet line up. I’m looking at purchasing either a 282 or 382 hydro and don’t have access to the serial numbers yet. Is there any way to tell if IH produced it by looking at them? They are both red, black axles, and have the IH emblem on the grill. Was there a drop off in quality when they sold to MTD? Thanks for any help someone can provide.
Brad
Little to no dif between those little guys. (y)

dropte

displayname
David Ropte
yes about the same. Both are fairly cheap lawn tractors though. At this point they are both basically collectors items vs machines you’d actually want to use.

rengasser

displayname
Rick Engasser
Some of them had mower spindle brakes that were problematic. I think there was an updated spindle released, but keep in mind that was 40 years ago.

exSW

The serial number tag should say International Harvester right on it. If it's unintelligible the IH tags were smaller than the CCC tags.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Geez, didn't you say the hard part was finding one to buy. Looks like it took you less than a month. Although the 182 in the picture is a little distant it does look like it's in nice condition. By the way, the scenery in the picture is quite pretty as well (I'm in the AZ desert).

Brad Kamm

Ya, it popped up on CL just a couple days after I posted my question. It’s all about timing! It’s in pretty good shape, normal wear and tear. Fall colors in full bloom here.