• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet White/Yellow Spray Paint

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have any preference or recommendations on rattle can paint that matches (pretty closely) the original CC scheme?

Some googling led me to Rustoleum 2x Magnolia for the Yellow, and Rustoleum Canvas White for the White/Almond.

I have yet to test it on some scrap metal and test parts, but I am curious if others have experience (good or bad) with other spray brand brands/colors.
What about champion road grader yellow just a thought if you where able to find some

What about champion road grader yellow just a thought if you where able to find some

Too orange, just like school bus yellow, safety yellow, and various other flavors circulating on the internet. The only one I have seen that is remotely close to the correct shade of yellow is the Rustoleum Magnolia described previously in this thread.

Bad news from Rust-Oleum:
"Unfortunately Rust-Oleum Automotive Enamel Gloss Extreme Yellow (252461) was discontinued in November 2018 and is no longer available."
I grabbed a can of the valspar TRANS YELLOW...not even close, perhaps it is a match for the MTD color?
The closest I've found is the Rustoleum marigold.
Colors2.png
Colors1.png

Colors3.png

Attachments

• Colors1.png
    Colors1.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 796
I have seen, on another board, Rustoleum Magnolia and CC brand yellow as touchup on two different framerails of the same tractor, and I could not tell them apart from each other or the original paint. I have seen a couple of tractors painted with the transport yellow, and had a can of it once, and it is not particularly close.

For IH935 white, Rustoleum Almond is VERY close. I have painted a lot of mower decks and wheels with it. Get the Rustoleum professional (or industrial or whatever they call it) if you can...it's better stuff. Or better yet, swing by a nearby IH dealership and get a couple cans of the real thing. It is not much more expensive than Rustoleum.

I have not had as good of luck with other various brands of spray paint, from a color matching or quality perspective. You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to paint.
the IH paint uses what to reduce it if u use a spray gun? paint thinner takes it forever to dry attracting dust before it dries The quarts of IH paint never say what type reducer to use Originally the quarts of cub IH paints were alkyed enamel For complete restorations I use PPG single stage acrylic urethane 83409 yellow in the shop line brand they have It says its a yellow that southern bell uses I have also used a PPG color like federal yellow but it takes 2 coats

My local Case Dealer was pretty sure that "Federal Yellow" ($12.36/spray can) and "935 White" ($11.85/spray can) are what you're looking for. These two are a better quality than most other brands you will find in a big box store (his expert opinion). A drawback is that spray paint is NOT shippable via any mail carrier (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.) as far as I can determine.... Good Luck!

Yes it is.
I get Rustoleum transport yellow by the 6 pack from Home Depot shipped right to my door.
The IH dealer I but qt. cans for spray gun use also stock the reducer and hardener as well.
I use the spray cans for small parts during assembly and can tell no difference in color.
The larger stuff such as frame, tower, grill, wheels etc get sprayed w/a gun using the canned stuff from IH

Yes it is.
I get Rustoleum transport yellow by the 6 pack from Home Depot shipped right to my door.
The IH dealer I but qt. cans for spray gun use also stock the reducer and hardener as well.
I use the spray cans for small parts during assembly and can tell no difference in color.
The larger stuff such as frame, tower, grill, wheels etc get sprayed w/a gun using the canned stuff from IH
a IH dealer stocks reducer and hardener? since when? read the qt cans of cub cadet paint and unless they have changed their paint formula or paint supplier and changed updated the labels to describe what type of reducer is to be used to spray using a paint gun then its still a mystery a guess of what reducer is correct Years ago I tried using ppg reducer and the cub cadet yellow paint clabbered up wouldn't mix with paint reducer or xylene or Only by experiment I found paint thinner did work but it took forever to dry attracting dust

I hit my local automotive paint store and they mixed up the correct white and put it into 2 large spray cans for me. Had about $25 in it. Did the four wheels on my 127. I plan on repainting the deck on my 149 this winter.

All from my local Case IH dealer and off the same shelf.

View attachment 136412
all I know is that a cub cadet dealer [not a IH dealer] that sells cub cadet brand of paint that I had tried to mix, the Cub cadet paint qt labels unless updated revised don tell what if any type of reducer is to be used Yes IH paint such as u use supplies and informs what reducer and hardener is required BUT a CUB CADET dealer who isn't affiliated with IH or a IH dealer that sells only cub cadet in qt cans of cub cadet paint [NOT IH paint] I have no idea the required type of reducer the cub cadet brand uses Except paint thinner no hardener works PPG is as good paint and there many more PPG suppliers that are closer that I get my paint from then IH dealers

I posted this as a reply to a question and thought it may be helpful for this link.

There were 3 IH white colors. When I was in IH customer service, we had a paint cheat sheet and to my recollection here is the application:
901 was a creamy white and used on original to 123.
902 was a refrigerator white and used on 104-147.
935 was used on the 108-1650 and red cadets for the implements.

There were two yellow colors used, one was Federal Highway Yellow and one was semi gloss, but it was 40 years ago so I don't remember which models used them. Wish I would have saved some of that information!

Thanks for taking the time to get that information out. I have a 127 Cub ,what white would I use to be correct to use on it. Are these parts numbers that can be used today? Also I guess I night as well bother you for the correct yellow? Thanks again Cubstudent 27

Thanks to Kraig and Charlie for always providing fantastic information on these tractors!

The following statements are my personal opinion only, and do not intend to offend anyone.
I am sure almost everyone would want the same paint color and brand that was put on these fine tractors when they were built. However, this was up to 59 years ago, and a lot has changed since then.
I don't think anyone will get beat up if they do not have the right shade on their cub cadet.
As someone stated to me one time (I think it was Charlie); "it is only a garden tractor," so don't get too upset if you can't perfectly match the original colors.
I would bet there are very few people that could look at a freshly painted cub, and could tell if it actually had the correct colors.

As for the paint, I prefer Case IH Irongard in the quart can because it goes on well, as I am not a professional painter. Other than a few OEM runs (LOL!), the results look just like an auto body shop had painted it. I use a small finish sprayer which can be purchased fairly inexpensively at a local hardware store. It does not take much air to operate, so a pancake compressor would work fine.
So, just go to your local Case IH dealer, or CCSpecialties, and pick up some of these and start painting. :) At least it is the correct brand. LOL!

paint.jpg

See how nice it looks!

100-3.jpg

While reading some of the posts I see I left some info out.
Mixing the paint:
Use 1-2 oz. of hardener, 2 oz. thinner, and 16 oz. of Irongard paint.

I buy eco-friendly paint thinner by the gallon at wallyworld for around 8 bucks. It comes in handy for cleanup after painting. The hardener came from Amazon.

paint 2.jpg

Mike,
Thank You Sir,,, Crescent Moon w/ 5point Star was torch cut from 1/4” carbon plate,, one piece of 1/2” rnd stk supports it inside the 2”x1/4” Flat bar Box which is welded into the gate support bars,,,
I was Taking some time off work from a long Overtime Job and it was nice to be able to fool around in garage on “my own time” for a change,,

Thanks Again for the compliment,,,
🙂
You will do good when you retire. I’ve been retired from 65 hour a week work for 12 years and haven’t slowed down yet!

Back