• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

ih cub cadet wheel weights

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadscub

hi iam trying to decide if 50 pounds of wheel weights would be enough weight to plow so or if i should add 3 sets not just two sets thanks thad

It all depends on what your driving on. Some times 1 set is plenty, but maybe your on some ice under the snow and you will wish you've got a second or even a third setup on each tire. I usually did one on the inside and one on the outside of each tire and found it to be sufficient. A wheel might spin but not for long, it would clear out what was under that wheel and then grab hold and pull. So how was that for a "diplomatic" answer.... LOL.

Not bad thinking. Course if it's that deep, you can reach a point where no amount of weight will save it.
There was a picture showing Dan's 4 WD Cub stuck in the snow... and Charlie had on also I think.
I slid sideways once and the snow was up to or over the foot pads... I wasn't going anywhere! Had to come along
the tractor sideways to get back onto the path so I could continue.

Hmmm - did I miss something here??? Are we driving a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor??? If so, what model??? Do we happen to have chains on the tires??? What tires do we have (turf or ag)? And what size/width?
I'd like more info before I start adding weights.

Hydro has some excellent questions... Chains on turf tires would provide best traction in snow. Once you have the turf tires chained up, then start adding weight. The more weight the better, to a point. 50lbs on a wheel is a good starting point. All my opinion of course. On my #2 125 I have one 26lb IH wheel weight per side but also have a full size battery and three 3/4" thick slabs of steel mounted out back. I got the 125 with the rear battery mod and the weight all added. I rarely have lack of traction issues. I add tire chains for winter duty.

Cubweight2.jpg

Cubweight1.jpg

Mike, I assume you are referring to this photo of Dan and his 4x4 100:

Dan H 100 4x4.jpg

Once the belly hits the snow and floats... You are done.
On my 782, one set of wheel weights lift me spinning when plowing heavyish snow. With an additional 70lbs on the rear receiver, I think I'm almost optimal. Zoom in to rear of 782

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_142432.jpg
    IMG_20210107_142432.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 355
You sure you need that 782??? That big yellow thing behind it looks like it'll do the job a lot easier... and it has a cab!!

We had 2 sets of wheel weights for the front wheels of our Farmall Cub that we parted out a couple years back... had I known any better I woulda kept the sets.

I just noticed that there's weights on the inside of the rims too... and hanging off the front of the tractor... and on the front rims!!! Talk about overkill!

I like that muffler setup too... hmm, wonder where I've seen that before? :cubwinker:

IMG_20201126_123019.jpg

Great pictures of impressive wheel weights. I would fiil tires with windshield washer fluid in addition to a set of rear wheel weights and v bar chains on an 1810. Its been over 15 years, no rustouts or ill effects that I can see. It was fun to plow with that setup. In deep snow had to leave plow up 4 inches or so. First pass move bulk of snow, second pass for the rest. It was also great for mowing with no slipping on hills without chains.

You sure you need that 782??? That big yellow thing behind it looks like it'll do the job a lot easier... and it has a cab!!

We had 2 sets of wheel weights for the front wheels of our Farmall Cub that we parted out a couple years back... had I known any better I woulda kept the sets.
The cub does a nicer job on the stone driveway. Heck, the plow on my yellow tractor literally weighs more then the Cub. Even with larger feet and it's built in float, gotta really keep my hand on the lift so it doesn't dig in. But, yeah hopping on the cab, turn on the heat and a CD in the stereo... It's nice.

KRAIG - The picture of Dan digging out his 4wd is sad, I've been there, done that a time or two with my 4wd pickups. But the BEST WORST STUCK picture is the one of Steve B's #100 trying to bust it's way thru 3-4 ft tall drifts. I can do that with my #1 FARMALL snow mover, but it weighs about 7000# including loader, chains, & weights. It did have 2000# of fluid but I drained that 6-7 years ago.

Denny, I forgot about that photo, actually two photos: I'm not certain that Big Steve was actually stuck. Perhaps he or Steve will elaborate.

3925.jpg

3926.jpg

Back