• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet 111

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jclazar

Hello to all! So I recently picked up a good running Cadet 111 with 36" mower. The lawn tractor mows our yard pretty well. Now all of the sudden, the engine is "surging", and wanting to stall out. However, at W.O.T, and mower engaged ( engine load ), there is no "surging" from the engine.

Now, before I go and start with a million different opinions of what could be the problem, I don't figure to start making any carb. adjustments because the engine performance was just fine up until today. If its a problem of engine valves needing adjustment, could some one here please walk me through the process of determining a valve that needs adjustment?

I really like this Cadet, it's my first IHCC lawn tractor. The engine is original, and functions as should except for the current issue. It's the Briggs 11 hp lateral shaft engine. thank you very much in advance!

John

Hi John.. It's me again. To me it sounds like a piece "of something".. has gotten into some place where it shouldn't have. I'd try opening the jet a half turn or so and seeing if it get's better. It may pass on it's own. If not, then you may need to remove the bowl and wash it and the metering jet out with carb cleaner and/or compressed air. I doubt it's the valves imho.

Just got in Mike. Well, I removed the carb. bowl and there was water in the bottom. Also, there is no longer a foam element in the air cleaner, lol! All I don't today was drive it out to change the engine oil. I used Briggs SAE 30 engine oil. Anyway, did not operate the lawn tractor a whole lot today. But, now yesterday I mowed our yard with it, and afterwards I had used the garden hose on the tires which ended up in a full blown tractor wash, before driving back into the garage.

So tonight, after cleaning out the carb. bowl, the lawn tractor started and operated at idle for 3-4 minutes and I could not pick up on any engine surging. I ought to drain the gas and clean the tank, then re-clean the carb. bowl, add some fresh fossil fuel, and see what gives next!

Two thumbs up Mike! Got to drive the Cadet around today, as my 3 year old nephew got to come over for the afternoon. He sits on my lap, and does a pretty good job steering the lawn tractor around, lol! Anyhow, I did not notice the engine surging! Heck, even the " service engine soon" light went out in my truck today on my way to work, lol!

Guess I'm going to have to find a air cleaner element here soon.

Thanks again all!

That is good news ( on both fronts!) even better you got some seat time with the little guy..

Congrats.

Back