• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH chipper

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAllison

IHCC Supporter
Check out this old IH chipper my neighbor just gave me...anybody got any info on it?
0801211610_Film1.jpg
0801211610a_Film1.jpg

Robert - what the???? Is the engine blown or something??? Did you forget to tell us all the story??? Did you cut down all your neighbors trees or something??? :shhhh:

I have a couple really good neighbors! He's watched me work and play with my old cubs and thought I might like to have it. Haven't looked much at it yet but the motor isn't locked up and it has spark. I'll take the carb off and clean and look at it this week.

Honestly Robert - you really have a nice neighbor. Have fun and good luck with the chipper.

We had one similar.. it's really more like a "shredder" than a "chipper" . worked great on leaf pile reduction! And you'll definitely need hearing protection!

Some also had the ability to reverse the cutters ( each end has a cutting edge ) but after reversing to use the other end, the shafts and cutters needed replacement.

Yeah I know it's not anything heavy duty but I think it will work perfectly at my composte bins. It has a3horse Briggs on it but looks to be in pretty rough shape,I have a rebuilt4horse in my garage...any problems you see putting that on it?

Robert just another way of looking at it.That chipper is not a high use tool so a compression test would tell you if it's worth fooling with.Just guessing but I'd bet it doesnt have 100 hrs on it.IMO the only tricky part of old Briggs is the carb but they are simple.I believe (I,ve been wrong once) that has the rubber diagfram pump on the side of carb.easy fix...nice neighbor !!

I have the 59M and it works great for dead/dried leaves, twigs etc.
Not so much for green stuff like corn stalks & vines.
Leaves take a long time as they tend to bunch up and not fall down onto the blades so you have to feed slowly.

As a side note, I would avoid using a 59M on a gear drive Cub as with the brakes locked it will increase wear on the throw out bearing considerably and if the brakes are not locked you run the risk of it dropping/popping into gear and heading for the next county or fence or whatever else me be in it's path. Ask me how I know this!!

Yeah I know it's not anything heavy duty but I think it will work perfectly at my composte bins. It has a3horse Briggs on it but looks to be in pretty rough shape,I have a rebuilt4horse in my garage...any problems you see putting that on it?

The only problem I can imagine at this point is why you haven't swapped it in yet! LOL... Go for it. The horsepower rating is also a function of RPM, so if you're worried in any way, trim off some rpm to back into the "desired" HP range. But I wouldn't bother worrying about that.

Output shaft diameter/length and mounting bolt spacing may pose problems when installing a different engine.

Back