• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

ID on a 2185 no SN

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chancey47

I bought a Cub Cadet 2185 from a neighbor. Shows 477 on the hour meter. Has a three blade deck. Has no identifying information, tag has been removed. Neighbor had the tractor for several years and I am sure is unaware of the missing tag. These tractors were manufactured 1994 to 1999. Were there any major design differences during that time, and how can I tell which (year) model I have? The immediate need is for a blade for the deck. I am having difficult time identifying the deck as it is 3 bladed and supposedly 2185 didn't come with 3 bladed deck. I'll attach a picture of the deck. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• CubDeck.jpg
    CubDeck.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 133
There might be a way to tell which variant of the 2185 you have. There were three electrical schematics for them. I have not studied them to see if there are any differences.

CC2185_01.JPG

CC2185_02.JPG

CC2185_03.JPG

I think it might be a 48" deck. Note the area I indicated with the red box:

CubDeck.jpg

Cub_Cadet_2.jpg

The older models have decals on the hood, like this picture. Newer models have the grass sprig design. That deck is correct, looks like a 48" one.
Serial number is on the frame above the left front wheel.
1206-td4-b01-ext270.jpg
img.axd.jpg

It is a cub deck..most likely a 50" but could be a 54"..take a blade off and measure it.Then get back on computer....
Thanks Gary and all who responded. I measured the deck and the shell measures 51". The blades measure 16.5". I did some clean up and it turns out that the blades are new, and still have paint on them. What I thought was a fracture is a normal feature of the blade to eliminate sharp corners. This tractor has the latter hood decal, and after looking underneath I think the 477 hours is correct. It is very clean. It needs an oil change and I need to look into changing the hydro fluid and filter. The engine smokes when first started, but clears up on warm-up. I think a little Seafoam can't hurt and eliminating the 10% ethanol fuel makes a lot of bad things go away. This is my first Cub, having been a Bolens fan and then John Deere (I have four 318's). I originally got on this site because I had an International M tricycle with an IH loader. I donated that to my young Amish friend. He has the arms to handle it. Hope this Cub will be a good tractor for my wife to use, she doesn't like the whiplash shifting of the 318. I agree that the shifting is a con for the 318, but the rest of the pros offset it for me. So far, this Cub has impressed me. Definitely a quality consumer tractor. Kind of surprised coming from MTD. When I get some time, I will compare electrical schematics, looks like that will help identifying the sub model. Thanks again, to all who responded and feel free to give any pointers that you think might be helpful. Best wishes!

Check the engine serial number to see when it was built and that might get you close too.

Chance, looks like Kraig was right 48" deck..Makes sense 3 x 16.5... with 51" shell...I like shaft drive.One less belt for a stick to flip into. I'm pretty sure she will like the hydro pedal,lift up it stops.I have a 2006,that requires frequent grease in front wheel spindles to keep steering easy..Good overall machine..

Back