Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

I think I have an incurable disease

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

PACub100

I would agree with you, never saw a 2 piece thermostat...then again, I can count on 3 fingers how many thermostats I've ever replaced in my life 🤫😛

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
Every 2 piece thermostat that I have seen is the BAD one coming out…. That is why it was bad….

I do believe they should be one piece…. Maybe someone that has a bigger IH… like Denny or Steve may know what this one is supposed to be like. But that reminds me of the Ford ones I’ve replaced in the past, and they were all 1 piece.

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
That's the answer I was looking for, although not good news...

Amazon had ought to send me a replacement free!

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
Thats quite good news, and an AutoZone opened up locally A few months ago too! People on another Cub forum advised me that one from an auto parts store wouldn't fit on the H,but perhaps they were wrong. Someone did make mention of the higher temp thermostat though.

Either way i need something. Want to play with this thing once the snow arrives, and would rather it be running at correct temperature and not 110 degrees!

displayname
Aussie Bruce
And people wonder why we say old stuff is better..46 model and running. Fantastic find.. all be it through a friend.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
I replaced the thermostat in my Super H about 40 years ago. The replacement I got at my IH dealer was one piece. I think I'd toss the one you have in the trash and visit your local Autozone store. I'm not a fan of NAPA, mostly because of the local store owner. See if Autozone has a new gasket too, or a small sheet of gasket material. I cover the grill in winter on my SH so it gets up to operating temp, Dad & I have done that since the 1950's.
That H with 12V alternator would make a good snow mover in winter.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
Looks like a Sargent or a Horndraulic loader. My parents had on on there H. Mounts to the axle carriers just like that.

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
Looks like a Sargent or a Horndraulic loader. My parents had on on there H. Mounts to the axle carriers just like that.
I just went and looked at the ID tag. It says "New Idea Horn Loader".

As for the thermostat, apparently Amazon is going to send another one free of charge. We'll see how this "replacement" turns out, but I'm not expecting much.

PACub100

Yeah, Amazon is pretty decent about that...but seeing how you got a broken one first time around, I wouldn't have high expectations. I'd still get one from autozone or advance just to have it 👍😎👍

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
Yeah, Amazon is pretty decent about that...but seeing how you got a broken one first time around, I wouldn't have high expectations. I'd still get one from autozone or advance just to have it 👍😎👍
That was my plan. If the replacement arrives in one piece who knows how long it would even function anyway...

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
I replaced the thermostat in my Super H about 40 years ago. The replacement I got at my IH dealer was one piece. I think I'd toss the one you have in the trash and visit your local Autozone store. I'm not a fan of NAPA, mostly because of the local store owner. See if Autozone has a new gasket too, or a small sheet of gasket material. I cover the grill in winter on my SH so it gets up to operating temp, Dad & I have done that since the 1950's.
That H with 12V alternator would make a good snow mover in winter.
Dennis, that's what I was thinking. Would make a great snow mover. I really like the 12V conversion they did to it because they did it without cutting anything up or butchering anything. The messiest thing is the ballast resistor ziptied to the coil, I may switch to an internally resisted coil to eliminate this entirely. Winters have been pretty mild these past few years so it may not see much use, though I could see it being useful to move big snowpiles created by plows. If the driveway freezes over it would work really well. Would for sure be a lot more user-friendly than my dad's JD 40 setup, which requires being bent over backwards to watch the 3pt mounted blade!

As for the loader itself, it is seeming like my particular example is a sort of hodge podge of 2 different loaders. I've looked up the specific model, a New Idea H5 horn loader, but the hydraulic cylinder setup is way different in every picture I have seen. I am not sure what my hydraulic cylinder setup came from. However it must have been something somewhat in production as I have a whole spare set of cylinders with the cables and mounts, and its way too well made to be homemade.