• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

I need help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
I did it again, I bought another engine. No, I didn't NEED it, but I've been looking for one for ages and this was probably my only chance for a while! And it already runs!
IMG_20210912_103913.jpg
IMG_20210912_103921.jpg
IMG_20210912_103924.jpg

This is a 1932 Maytag model 92. Gonna be fun to mess around with. Now I need to find a twin cylinder one to go with it :errrr:

Jp , congrats...now do some serious study and learn how to change speed. Should be able to start with 2 kicks,if not tune some more...Mine is little slower and sounds like a big hit and miss...love it...

Jp , congrats...now do some serious study and learn how to change speed. Should be able to start with 2 kicks,if not tune some more...Mine is little slower and sounds like a big hit and miss...love it...

It'll start right up in 1 or 2 kicks, 3 if I forget to open up the fuel mixture! It does run a bit fast so I'll definitely have to see if I can get it to run a bit slower.

Has the rare dual exhaust too.

Someone had some fun with the custom exhaust system. I kinda wanna remove the whole thing and go for a single vertical pipe, nice and wide so I get a nice deep sound. But that's just an idea, I'll probably leave it for a while.

Bob, if you want attention at a show fire one of these up....There's a guy (old timer) on utube that has several videos about them and he knows his stuff....can't remember his name but there are several from repair to rebuild Just put in Maytag engine......When these are slowed down they will walk on flat surface..they are 2 cycle.....Jp looks like you're missing the fuel pointer (?) Flywheel Supply has them

I assume you would mean that fuel adjustment? Its not missing, in the photos I took it was in the closed position so you can't see the point on top. It is there.

What I think I'm missing is the proper grounding tab to shut the engine off, the only way to shut it off is ground it with a screwdriver or close the fuel mixture (which is why it was closed in the photos).

Heres an online pic, you can see the grounding tab in front of the spark plug, as well as the rod running back that you would pull. Definitely something I want to find for the engine, or worst case custom make one for it.
maxresdefault.jpg

JP, you can make one...I've had my butt kicked too many times so I just don't trust grounding....I just turn fuel off....I really am tickled you finally found one !!.When you find the twin cyl,you get learn a little more...the Briggs kick start are much lower price and easier to find but they don't sound so cool because they are a 4 stroke...

I mentioned that I had hoped to find one someday in a thread you made about yours a while back, I didn't really expect to find one but I walked through the whole flea market at our annual show and there it was sitting at the end of someone's table of stuff. When I asked if it ran, and he said it did, then started it up for me, I just jumped right on it without hesitation! Had it been non running I probably would've tried to get a lower price. But I'm glad I decided to buy it.

Also, heres a quick video of it running

I assume you would mean that fuel adjustment? Its not missing, in the photos I took it was in the closed position so you can't see the point on top. It is there.

What I think I'm missing is the proper grounding tab to shut the engine off, the only way to shut it off is ground it with a screwdriver or close the fuel mixture (which is why it was closed in the photos).

Heres an online pic, you can see the grounding tab in front of the spark plug, as well as the rod running back that you would pull. Definitely something I want to find for the engine, or worst case custom make one for it.View attachment 145659
Grounding tab....maybe a feeler gauge would be a good substitute

You and I both need help apparently. I just picked up an old hit and miss that doesn't run. My wife asked me what I was gonna do with it, my reply to that should be obvious, fix it, then crack a beer and smile as she runs! Nice engine you found, she sounds amazing.

A hit and miss is something on my someday list... there was a decently large one at the show where I bought the Maytag, $700 fully restored and fully functional; didn't seem like a bad deal since I've seen them go well over $1000, but I really just didn't have a way to get it home.

As for a grounding tab, I have 2 feeler gauges laying around; one good that I use and one that's rusty and worn with a couple broken gauges. Provided they're long enough, I may take one and use it.

Back