• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

I have a Cub Cadet 1862 w/50" deck.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddasaro

displayname
Dennis D'Asaro
Howdy -- first post. I have a Cub Cadet 1862 w/50" deck. Trying to become a Country Mouse, here, and need lots of guidance.
I looked up this forum because the PTO stopped running, but I actually found a broken electrical wire (once I looked by daylight!) and managed to put it back together.
Which led to this general question: I found a schematic online, but it did not tell me where on the tractor that wire was supposed to go. Also the repair would have been so much easier if I could have removed the front cowling, but I couldn't figure that out. So is there somewhere a sort of mechanical diagram of these machines that shows how everything goes together and comes apart?
And as to maintenance, is there a website that tells what needs to be done after how many hours, and how to do it?
I'm sure there is some kind of primer in all this posted somewhere; maybe you can point me to it and I can read up.
One specific question: my 2 belts break pretty often. Anything I can do to promote their longevity?

I'd generally like to ask all you folks----figure I can mostly maintain this tractor myself? I'm pretty generally handy, but more in building trades than mechanical. I won't be boring out any cylinder blocks, but if I can get stuff apart, I can replace and adjust and so forth. Happy to have your input and guidance on this.
Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis, Welcome to the forum. I am new here also. Since I haven't been here long, I'm not sure if anyone on here has a manual they can copy off for you, but I have found many of the manuals (or copies of them) on Ebay. Sometimes a little expensive for what you get, but usually worth the effort. Also, I'm not sure what year that model is (like I said, I'm new here) but many times your local dealer can order you a manual for it. The user manual has all the recommended service intervals for grease and oil and fluids. Hope that helps a little. SteveG

Steve & Dennis,
Is there something wrong with the fancy colored button listed above?
confused.gif

62218.jpg

Dennis,
I dunno where you got your diagram, but anyone I ever saw shows where wires go.
Here's part of the diagram for your tractor.
If you want a big one, just holler and I'll send it to you.
62220.jpg

Steve & Dennis,
Welcome aboard.
We as group are a very resourceful bunch and will always help each other out, however we like it when Newbies and others look for some of the answers themselves. Most likely you will ask questions that have been previously answered. Some are so popular as to warrant entries into the CUBFAQ section.. See the link at top.
Within that faq is a link to even more FAQs maintained on another site.
I think you will find everybody here wants this hobby/disease to grow and be fun.

The vendors at the top are all good. They would not be there if they were not. I have dealt with and continue to use several of them.

Order online save gas and time.
There is a parts breakdown under the PARTS LOOK UP

Again Welcome aboard...

Don't forget to search "the Vault" it is where most of the old topics go to die. I have spent many hours digging through them to find pictures and ideas for my projects.

Cheers
Dudley

Yeah, I was looking at the same schematic --- but the point is, it's a schematic, and does not feature a picture or drawing of the terminus of that wire (the brown one from the PTO switch) on the PTO Whatsit for those of us who don't know what a PTO Whatsit is, or exactly where on the PTO Whatsit the connector or lug or whatever is!

Anyway, looks like a manual is in order; and I'll take a more thorough look at the FAQs, ma'am.

Thanks,
Dennis

Sorry, I didn't see the link above to order manuals. Being new to here, I didn't realize the wealth of information at my fingertips. Thanks so much for making these tools available to us new guys & gals. SteveG

Dennis:

I have looked at that 1862 Schematic. I have to admit, as many years that I have been reading diagrams and schematics, that one is pretty tough.

Attached, is a simplified schematic for the PTO Circuit for your Cub.

62230.jpg

Hope this helps in diagnosing your problem. If not, just post back & ask.

Dennis - So you're saying you don't know what a plug on the end of a wire looks like ??

Dudley - You're such a diplomat ;)

Thanks again for the interest!

What's required in reading that schematic is a knowledge of what/where the PTO clutch is. This is why I'm hoping for one of those exploded kind of parts pictures, showing all the parts and nuts and bolts.

In point of practical fact, as I wrote in my first post, once I peered into the front of the tractor by daylight, I quickly saw both ends of the broken brown wire, and I was able to fasten them back together with a wire nut and tuck the wire in so it maybe won't hit the belt and break again.

Two factors: if the wire had been pulled off entirely from the PTO clutch, I would have had no idea where it was supposed to be attached, as that point is out of sight from the front of the tractor. The schematic would not have helped in that, either.
Second, I couldn't figure out how to get the cowling off --- however it is bolted on is not transparent enough for me. Fortunately I could still reach in and manipulate those wires, but not as easily. 'Nother reason for that exploded drawing. Do the manuals have such?

Sorry for possibly sloppy use of "terminus." I meant the point on the PTO clutch where the wire attaches, or goes inside, or whatever it does.

Regards,
Dennis

I have a 1863 cub PTO clutch will not stay ingaged. Have replaced Pto switch and relay I cant find out what could be causing this problem. any help would be great. thanks in advance C. Ruggles

I believe that these units have an air gap that is adjustable and if its out of adjustment it will either not engage or not stay engaged. Surely someone with more smarts then me will chime in here. Good luck!!

Back