• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING

Hydrostat transmission

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

Rene Smythe

Our 1974 IH Cub Cadet 169 has a transmission problem. I have cleaned and switched the two buttons on top, drained and flushed out the trans and added new fluid. It still wants to hesitate going into forward and almost does not want to go in reverse plus clunking noises. Unfortunately we do not have any shops in our area that work on these. Any suggestions?

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Our 1974 IH Cub Cadet 169 has a transmission problem. I have cleaned and switched the two buttons on top, drained and flushed out the trans and added new fluid. It still wants to hesitate going into forward and almost does not want to go in reverse plus clunking noises. Unfortunately we do not have any shops in our area that work on these. Any suggestions?
Might be a relief valve going bad and or the trunion or it needs adjustment.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Check the spirol pins and the front coupler to make sure the pump is turning.
Look for loos or damaged parts in the hydro linkage while you have the tunnel cover off.
Where are you located, a replacement hydro should not be that hard to locate if push comes to shove.

1811Cub

displayname
1811Cub
I'm assuming you replaced the spin on filter. It wasn't mentioned in your post. Which fluid did you use? I'm a proponent of genuine Hytran. It's rare to have a wear related pump failure, but it is pushing 50 years old. Fortunately, the pumps are very easy to find.

dkirk

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Kirk
Check the mounting bolts that hold the transaxle assembly to the tractor frame. I just worked on neighbor's 1250 that had all mounting bolts either loose or broken, causing the transaxle to rock back and forth in the frame when going from forward to reverse. This causes vague response from the hydro control lever plus clunking noises. There are 3 bolts per side - easy to spot. Be sure these are all in place and tight.

Rene Smythe

I'm assuming you replaced the spin on filter. It wasn't mentioned in your post. Which fluid did you use? I'm a proponent of genuine Hytran. It's rare to have a wear related pump failure, but it is pushing 50 years old. Fortunately, the pumps are very easy to find.
Yes, I did change the hydro filter...

Latest posts