• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydrostat transmission

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rene Smythe

My wife's 1974 IH Cub Cadet 169 desperately needs the transmission adjusted. Is there a way this can be done? It doesn't want to go into reverse anymore...

Thank you! Will give it a try -if and when I figure out what all that means! This is asking a lot for an 81 year old;-(

Thank you! Will give it a try -if and when I figure out what all that means! This is asking a lot for an 81 year old;-(
Remove the tunnel cover off the frame. You'll see 2 large valves with either a little hole in the top or 2 buttons in the center. Clean everything up and just switch'um from one side to the other. 👍

The lever for these two buttons was broke when we got the tractor in 2003. What do I switch? The caps with the buttons? If it's the two lines, they are form fit and will not bend enough to switch plus one is an in-line and the other a return line.

Yes the caps with the buttons. if it then backs up and quits going forward then one of those check valves is stuck

Thank you. When running one of the buttons does not want to push in - perhaps that's the problem.
BTW, from 10/20/2004 Digger posted: If you want a high CCA battery that will fit under the seat, get one for a mazda miata or a dry cell battery for an airplane, like a Cessna.
Well, from my service records: May 2014 Mazda Miata battery + two terminal connectors
Now eight years later still working good. Gets charged every two months as the voltage regulator hasn't worked in years.
An excellent tip from the old group! Miss Tom Kelly;-(

Okay, so this afternoon when the tractor got in the shade I took a half inch breaker, one inch socket and a cheater bar to break the caps loose. Put them in gasoline as one had crud in it. Blew out the units and put them back in switched. Barely goes forward and still no reverse Not sure I am still capable of dong the instructions in the Cub Cadet FAQ...

Now I am wondering if I should drain and flush the trans? Last time I changed fluid was in March of 2004...

What fluid did you use when you changed it, and did you change the filter?

May 2015 Hydro filter, flush transmission, refill w/Napa 85-401 – 5 qts..
Not low on fluid. Changed filter November of 2020.
March 2022. Replaced hydro return line IH-548043-R1. Added trans hydro fluid

Hmmm - the Napa 85-401 is a HyTran equivalent fluid and I've never heard of any problems using it. However, 5 qts is way below the IH spec capacity of 7 qts. You say you flushed the tranny so you would certainly need to add 7 qts. The fluid needs to be full to the bottom edge of the fill plug on the back of the tranny cover.

I'm also wondering if you used a correct filter. At this point I'd suggest changing your hydro filter and then top off the fluid level. Make sure you use a filter from the list shown in the FAQs as follows:
1660342139956.png

Seven quarts? My records show five but I make sure it is up to the inspection plug. Service is as follows:
Manufactured October 1974 and sold for $1799.
Model 169 Kohler K341A, Spec No. 71154, S/N 528912, Engine S/N 6341845
Chassis serial number 2050048U528912
Engine oil: Napa 30w 1½ qts.
Oil filter: Napa Gold 1334
Hydraulic oil: Napa 85-405 Gal; 85-401 qt
Hydraulic oil filter: Napa Gold 1410
Air filter - Napa Gold 2299 or
Napa Air Filter 7-02210-1 Air Filter with Pre-Filter
Spark Plug Champion H12 or NGK B-4L gap .030
Wonder where I goofed? The Lubrication Table for the 169 is 14 pints...

Back