• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydro vs. Grear drive

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WES - I have the same idea, The smaller tires really ride rough, and the wider & longer tractors ride increasingly better. There's a couple places the 50" deck on My 982 won't fit, and the 44" on the 129 sneeks right thru. I don't fly over the yard but I can mow in 3 hrs +/- with the 129 & 44" and 2 hr. 45 Min. with the 982. If I mow in 1st with the 72 it's 5-6 hours. If I sneek into 2nd it's 3-1/2 to 4 hrs. The 129 is the most fuel efficient combo, Less than 2 gal. 72 about 2-1/2, 982 about 3.
But when it comes to plowing..... I'll take the gear drive and fast 2nd is just about right.

12hp and a well tuned 42" deck is the trick for a 19T second gear. My 100 (120) is PERFECT in 19T 2nd.....but I like the hydro and 44" better.

Back