• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydraulic floor jack help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacdonald

displayname
James MacDonald
I've got a 2 1/4 ton Sears hydraulic floor jack. I've had it for a while and first used it to hold up the transmission on my 125 cub as I split the tractor. I am all done: new driveshaft with new front and rear couplers, trunion bracket repairn new grass screen on the motor etc. Last evening while getting ready to put it all back together I found my 11 year old grandson goofing off with the jack. He had turned it upside down and also at some point had backed out the release valve. Now just when I need the jack it doesn't work. I figured it was air bound. I have tried opening the release valve and removing the oil filler plug then pumping a good amount of times then re-assembling over and over and still no lift. I also tried pulling up the saddle manualy and opening the releas valve while pushing the saddle down. Funny thing is with the release valve open and the oil filler plug out sometimes it will very slowly pump up with no weight on the saddle. Looking down the filler hole I can see the oil close to the top. Scratching my head on this one! Anybody have any suggestions?

Allen thanks I have already visited their site and downloaded the instructions. I followed the method for purging any air (if that's what my problem is) without any luck.

Jim did your grandson remove the valve stem? If so did the rubber seal get damaged?? Or the valve get damaged?? If the seal is messed up could you be sucking in air when pumping??

Allen he told me that he did not back the release valve all the way out. He first turned the jack upside down and was pumping the handle to see it it would lift itself (it did). At that point I saw wht he was doing and told him not to use it upside down. He put the jack rightside up and opened the release valve. Maybe it is to cold it's in an unheated garage and the temp was in the 30s when I first tried, now it in the teens. I'll bring it in the house tonight and try purging it again.

Ah yes, freezing and below..doing that down here in Jersey too. Bet Sears had that made in china, so we dont know the real quality of that hydraulic fluid in there. Bet it will work fine when warmed up.

Interesting to note that whoever wrote the Sears instructions labeled the release valve the "air release valve", which <u>would</u> be the case I guess if the seals were leaking all the time.....Not sure if I'd go with their jack stands either (although it is just a stick man in the warning picture...)
clappy.gif

Allen I just noticed your post that I had not responded too. No I never could get the jack to pump up. Funny thing is it just caught my eye the other day sitting in the garage. I quess I should try again now that the temp has warmed up.

Jim McD.,
Were you ever able to repair your floor jack?

If so, what did you determine was wrong / what did you do to repair it?

Yep, as you probably guessed, I've got a similar issue with my floor jack....

Ryan Wilke

Ryan, my neighbor has a nice(?) floor jack he got at sears last year. After about 2 uses it wouldn't pump up. Answer here was a short fill on hydraulic oil! Added oil worked fine. Could you be that lucky? I suspect that sometimes the small seal at the end of the small 'pump it up' piston may have failed and is bypassing oil. (poor quality Chineese rubber??)

Allen S.,
Thanks for the advice. I haven't checked the fluid level yet, but I have some hydraulic jack oil now and that is in my plan for tomorrow.

I also printed off the Sears "troubleshooting guide" from the link you posted/provided last November... I will reference it for possible purging issues as well.

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Ryan Wilke

Back