• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hydr log splitters

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrobilotta

displayname
Michael Jonathan Robilotta (Boots)
anyone know what kind of fluid to use for a hydraulic log splitter, the current stuff in it is yellow and thick

A safe bet would be hydraulic oil. The thick, yellow stuff probably has gotten water in it and has homogenized it with the oil and with air...

Michael; Ours calls for tractor hydraulic fluid. So i think Hytran would be good. Most log splitters have a fill plug that is vented and unprotected from water getting into the oil. Sounds like you have water.

My hydraulic splitter has been sitting unused for a couple years. When I tried to use it last week, the piston just barely moved.
I checked the fluid level and it was way down so I filled it to the brim and tried again. Same thing...
Do I need to bleed the system? Any clues on how to do that?
Any other possibilities?

You may have a plugged vent. On my splitter it is actually the filler cap. It may need to be cleaned out.

Back