• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hy-tran

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210414_163256.jpg
whats this do ?

That lever is for how much foam you want on top of your milkshake.

Sorry. Just being a smart alek. I can't help myself, but I am interested too, since I am a newbie to hydros.

Hahaha - geez, I'm wondering about that lever too. Maybe it adjusts the tension on a spring assist. I guess that could be considered Higher/Lower.

Mixing ATF types in an automatic trans will do some "strange or weird" things as they use different friction modifiers, But using it in cub cadet transaxle will pose you no problem(s) Some folks on here (myself included) use to run it year round. In the 80's Ford manual trannys used atf to help the trans in shifting. the "heavy" gear oils used before that would make it hard to shift. Especially in the winter.

Mike,

I was in high school in the early 80’s and learned that Ford used it in their then current manual transmissions, so that’s what I put in my top loader 4 speed when I put it in my 66 Mustang instead of the Borg Warner it came to me with.

The only problem was that they used different bearings, and mine didn’t hold up. It gave out at college 100 miles from home, but the Shelby American annual meeting that year was in Tulsa, and the St. Louis crowd went right past my college town on their way, and one of them was able to deliver a transmission, and I changed it in the dorm lot. That one got gear oil in it. Yes it was a touch stiff in cold weather, but then so am I now.

Well - did I miss it some place. Just what the _ _ _ _ is that Higher/Lower lever in the pic at post #22?

Well, we're almost the same age Jim. I ran type F in my "73" with no problems.
But a cub trans and a early Mustang trans are surely 2 very different applications. Did you ever open the Mustang trans after?
I'd be curious if the oil attacked the bronze components. And also in this case we're not talking about running the oil for a long time, just a fill move it around around and dump it out. But thanks for sharing your experience, it would make me a lot more cautious now!

Well - did I miss it some place. Just what the _ _ _ _ is that Higher/Lower lever in the pic at post #22?
Harry, on an 1864 it is for adjusting hyd. deck level setting. Nope don't know how it works but that's what the info says...The 1864 has hyd. deck and steering .It was a high end machine..If need I can take a pic...

Mike,

i didn’t mean to cause you concern. It should be fine for a run and flush. The guy who brought me the replacement top loader took the old one apart. That was back before I had been inside of any transmissions. He told me they used different bearings. I don’t remember if he mentioned anything about the bronze (CRS).
...I do remember HE was also the one who told me they used ATF in the then current ones, and got me into that predicament.

Back