• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hy-Tran vs generic

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
I'm looking for hydrostatic oil. I know little about Hy-Tran and I have found oil at Napa the label says it meets Hy-Tran/Hy-Tran Ultra and as well as Cat and other manufacturer's specs. Would it be good to go? As far as I can tell it is made for Napa by Warren Oil Co. which also supplies many other house brands and OEM.

I'm looking for hydrostatic oil. I know little about Hy-Tran and I have found oil at Napa the label says it meets Hy-Tran/Hy-Tran Ultra and as well as Cat and other manufacturer's specs. Would it be good to go? As far as I can tell it is made for Napa by Warren Oil Co. which also supplies many other house brands and OEM.
Do what ya want, but the best thing to use is what it was born with!
1607372879683.png

Years ago I let some fool tell me brand x was the "equivalent" for The Little Woman's Jeep. So I said, like a real misled person, "Will this also work in my Trailblazer?" I learned that NOTHING replaces Molar 4 and NOTHING replaces Dexron 6. Two transmissions later I learned that there are no equivalent fluids for anything. Do it once, do it right and enjoy the fact that you did it right. Then enjoy your tractor the way International intended.

Many newer cars have their proprietary fluids AND it does matter (this should be illegal). I don't think the basic pumps on the cubs are of this generation. When I acquired my cub, it wouldn't move in the winter when all the old, water-filled fluid would freeze. Changed our filter and fluid with Tractor Supplies Traveller premium tractor trans/hydro. This is called out as an equivalent. 7 years later my cub is still handling snow plowing and running around the property with a homegrown trailer.

All I know is that her Jeep transmission cost me about $5000.00 and that there is a reason the manufactures say to use certain products. It might work fine but I won't take that chance again. Not just to save a few bucks. Mopar 4 is $8.00 a quart. The equivalent is $6.00. Wrong fluid 5000.00 correct fluid priceless. I even remember the old days of DexCool when everyone claimed it would eat up gaskets. Rusty has 288,000 and still has DexCool in it with the original intake gaskets. There's a reason.

I'm asking to learn. The deal for me is the Napa oil and the one at CNH are both about $20-25/gallon. I did do a filter change. The Napa Gold 1410 is a hydraulic filter and the tractor came with one. If I'm correct, the Gold series are supplied by Baldwin. The difference is Napa is an 8 mile drive and CNH is a 60 mile drive. I've spent several hours researching Hy-Tran. Oil, lubes, and greases have been a serious interest since my Navy daze in ship's engine rooms. Infomercials and forum "lube wars" aside, it comes down additive packages and owner's real cost. So far as I can see, all arrows point to Hy-Tran.

Greg.the owners manual knows best !! It's all about viscosity...Next time ask the counter person what the viscosity rating of any hydraulic fluid is.If he can tell you he's a keeper.There are so many different hyd. fluids...similar but different. I recently changed fluid and filter on a JohnDeere that called for 20-50 also a cub cadet zero turn.That's a long way from typical 10 or 15 wt.....

Greg.the owners manual knows best !! It's all about viscosity...Next time ask the counter person what the viscosity rating of any hydraulic fluid is.If he can tell you he's a keeper.There are so many different hyd. fluids...similar but different. I recently changed fluid and filter on a JohnDeere that called for 20-50 also a cub cadet zero turn.That's a long way from typical 10 or 15 wt.....
Actually it's not about viscosity. It's about the water encapsulating capabilities of of Hy-Tran or Master-Tran. You can actually run ATF is a hydro and not destroy it. You can foam it if you pound it real hard for 6 or 8 hours at a plowday! (y)

I'm asking to learn. I've spent several hours researching Hy-Tran. Oil, lubes, and greases have been a serious interest since my Navy daze in ship's engine rooms. Infomercials and forum "lube wars" aside, it comes down additive packages and owner's real cost. So far as I can see, all arrows point to Hy-Tran.

I'll toss in my point oh two. I'm running tractor supply fluid, cause they're close to me. If you want to top it off and forget it then spend the drive time and get the hytran. I typically dump those fluids every 5 years max. and mine don't sleep outside where they can build up condensate. It's your tractor, do whats good for you. And yes, I've run type f atf in mine too! it's fine when it's free!

Napa has a "division" Napafilters.com which sources from Wix that is now owned by Mann-Hummel. Their website offered up two filters depending on my search term. If I went with make/model/engine I got a 1084 filter. If I used the IH p/n 395789 R2 from the parts book, I got the 1410. Then I found discussions on whether the filter should have a bypass or not. If I'm correct from what I've read, I'm to have the 1410 with no bypass.

Back