• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

How Do You Cut Concrete Vertical?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
I want to widen a walk-in door on the foundation of my house. The foundation is poured concrete, a 50 yr old combination of concrete, wire and river jack. It's pretty hard. The door opening at each side has a centered recess that use to hold a 2x4 - where the framing of the original door was attached. I'd like to remove concrete such that I am flush with the recess across the width of the foundation/wall face. So I have to cut through about 3 inches to reach the recess.

Question is - how can I cut this and what should I use? I don't want to just hit it with a sledge hammer and I think a chisel and hammer would take forever, if possible at all.

So I'm wondering if one of these portable concrete saws would do the trick. I've never used one, don't know anything about them.

Any advice, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, this is the old/original part of my house and the basement is my workshop. Opening the door width will get enough room to pull a tractor indoors where I can tinker with them out of the weather.

Bill Jamison

A concrete Saw will work great,If you nail on a guide piece of 2x4 .that will help you stay on track easier and safer. Set the Gage to cut it in two stages and it won`t jump around as much. BTDT with 8" . later Don T

Bill I didn't include any sites because there were many, but Google 'cutting concrete walls' for more info on how and with what saws.

The concrete cutter I've always seen have a bracke that attaches to the wall with anchors that the hydraulic saw runs on. Partner saws work OK but never right on. They usually don't cut deep enough to cut all the way through

Bill go down to the rental center and get a saw to cut the concrete. Will take you about 20 minutes. But be ready for some major concrete dust. Wear a mask.

When you go down to the rental center ask for a vertical cutting setup. As with most concrete cutting setups the water option shoud be part of the package. If your going the partner saw route have someone keep a light stream of water on your work to keep dust down.

I cut out an entrance way into an old chicken house raised foundation years ago, rented a gas powered, kinda cut off saw. Had to take the shields off and switch blades to take advantage of the depth. use the smaller blades to start the cuts and switch to the biggest blades to finish the cuts to get deep enough. That was 8 inches thick and took a while but it got the job done. Left about a 3/4 inch lip at the bottom, it was as close as I could get it.

Back