• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

How Cold Is IT?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty-

I faired well with no damage. This old house is starting to get a few leaks, etc. but we keep trekking on. I hope your basement dries quickly with no major damages. I have a half basement but it has a gray water drain so, unless the drain stops up which it has, it drains nicely.

I walked down and around my pond yesterday to check on things. As I walked across the dam I could hear water pouring yet the downspout of the pond was a foot out of water. I looked behind the dam and there was a hole going through it. It was pouring like it was a 4" pipe stuck in there but there is no pipe. There are several trees on the backside of the dam and their roots have been a pain in my backside for years now. This pond was drained by nature and remained dry for a few years. I eventually got Claude (tractor) with a box blade I traded 4 goats for and rebuilt the pond. I finished the dam and hurricane Fran filled it with 9 inches of rain overnight. The only thing I didn't get to was tamping the inner side of the dam by driving up and down backwards letting the rear tires pack it. I have since drained it to do further work but it's been a roller coaster ever since. When I finally refilled it the existing roots kept it from filling completely and it stays a foot or so low. If it were mine I'd bring in some bigger machines and fix it right but I'm not up for that expense so... I do have some of the biggest banded water snakes you're ever seen. They are fun to watch but mean if you mess with them. I had to deal with two 3+ footers while mowing the dam yesterday. They are nonpoisonous but have a very bad bite...I speak from experience.

Marty, no real problems here, I think the drain on the ground floor backed up and got the floor in the laundry room wet. It gurgled when I flushed the toilet downstairs. Other than that, my son and I spent about an hour picking up pine cones in the front yard. Haven't touched the back yard yet.

We're still waiting for his power to be restored in Carteret County. They have finally started to bring some houses on line, but there were 30,000 out of 38,0000 co-op customers without power, now there are only 27,000 . . ..

Marty-

It looks like we're gonna be in for another round of heavy rains. I hope you have your basement issue solved. It's just passed 7:30 and there's hardly a leaf moving but they say things are going to change quickly. I'm in the track calling (and maybe you as well) for 4" to 6" and heavy winds

Tomorrow is suppose to be a beautiful day. We'll see. Good luck with the storm.

Jeremiah-

Hopefully you won't get as much as is predicted in Martys and my area. Good luck regardless. Everyone needs to keep an eye out for tornados. They can really be game changers.

If it continues to move fast the damage shouldn't be as bad as it was with Florence (and the tornados stay at bay).

It was snowing during part of my drive in this morning. I'm not quite ready for snow yet, hopefully any accumulation of the stuff holds off until November.
sad.gif

Wayne,

Hope you faired ok. I did not.
It took me 3 hours to get home from work this evening. normally takes 18 minutes. I rode the hurricane out in my car.

Trees down everywhere, power out everywhere. Tried every road in the county to get home. Even the highways were shut down.

I have my portable generator going in order to have water and some lights.
I have trees down or leaning over everywhere. So many I quit counting. The landscape around here has changed a lot.
I did manage to keep most of the 6 inches of rain we got this evening out of the basement.

I have two million seven hundred thousand four hundred thirty eight leaves plastered on the north side of everything here. In other words, everything is green in color on the north side.
jawdrop.gif

By the way, my basement access is on the north side.
a_weep.gif

As much as I hate to hear about all this freakin bad weather you guys have gone thru as of late, I just gotta ask, why it's all in the How Cold is it! Thread?

Marty-

3 hours is just ridiculous in making a 18 minute commute. The winds did put on a show. I had winds blowing like crazy at treetop and very little wind at ground level; it was weird. I was concerned about tornados most of all but dodged the bullet once again. I've got a lot of limbs down but that's the extent of damage. My power went out Thursday around 5:30pm and returned around the same time 24 hours later. It was enough to get me dancing around with two generators, one for the TV, lights, etc. and the other to keep refrigeration, etc. going. I just returned from getting 10 more gallons of fuel and the lights came back on.

Yep. Some of that cold is supposed to sink down towards me too. Not as extreme as you have but still, burr!

Charlie-

Do you have Eskimo blood in your family line? Being a southerner I can't see how people even live in those kind of climates. We recently experienced a few nights in the mid teens but that's unusual and well below our averages.

Another thing that amazes me is how not only wildlife but farm animals thrive in such cold. Mother nature can be cruel as well as wonderful.

Back