• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Heritage Plow Daze

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
We are going to host our first annual garden tractor plow day at the Roger Stertz farm (my uncle) with a tentative date of October 9th provided that the beans are off by then. I want to make sure that we stay off the weekend for BC II because I'm gonna do my best to make it down for that! The soil is really good for GT plowing and we have an alfalfa field right next to the plowing area to park your rigs. We will plan on having breakfast and lunch available for purchase with any money made going to a good local cause. We would love to see you come out and attend and join in the fun. I've included a link here showing a video of me plowing that same ground last year with the Mule...
http://youtu.be/1sDNoeDryho

We'd like to see as many of you attend as possible. Oshkosh, is 12 miles to the east of the farm and has just about every major restaurant and multiple hotels to stay in if you choose to come in the night before...

Yes. The alfalfa field is at least 4 acres. Lots of space there for campers, trailers, etc.

Josh,
I'll see what the schedule brings. I've never plowed in Cheese country!

Attention Forum members and especially LURKERS.

If you are anywhere remotely close to one of these events; get off your computer and attend.
Whether you are plowing or just spectating, this hobby only really truly has value if you are meeting first hand the GREAT people involved.
And bring a kid or grandkid!
err.gif

I couldn't agree with Rick more!! Seat time at an event like this is the truest way to enjoy it. That coupled with time getting to know other guys and see their rigs. BC I was the first official plow day event that I had attended. I really enjoyed the whole experience and it gave me the itch to do it again. If you are new to GT plowing and do not have a farming background, setting up a Brinly plow can seem daunting. If you don't believe me, take a look at some of the home made garden plowing videos on YouTube! Going to a plow day you can learn lots from guys who have been doing this for years. You can ask them about their setups--tractor, weights, tires, plow adjustments, etc. Beyond that, the friendships made with others in the community is the best part for me. I really enjoyed getting to meet and know Rick Beem and Corey Melchart and their families at BC I, along with David S, Jeff B, Mike M, and many many more. It's cool to have a face and personality to go with the names we see in black and white on this forum every day!!!

Rick, I hope you and some of your family can come up and visit us north of the "curtain". You will get to do some Cheddar Plowing!

Now, time for some input from those of you who have done a bunch of GT plow days. As you know, I've only been doing this for a Handful of years. My family has been plowing the field that we will plow since 1948 but not with GT's! So, what are some of the things that you have done at these events across the country that you really enjoy? Number one, I know, is seat time plowing in good ground. Next????

Josh,

Not sure how much ground you have but a Friday evening plow with lights and bs session is always fun.

My family and I hope to be there if at all possible with my 122 and the wifes 782.

Hope to make this one for sure!
Will have extra room for a passenger and to haul your Cub, can even make you the loan of a plow!!

I plan on overnighting w/my truck camper and the dinette makes into an extra bed if anyone is game for more than one day,

Dave S.

Thank you Dave for brining that to my attention. I was actually thinking Saturday the 10th. I figured Saturday would be easier for many to attend because of Friday work Schedules. I'm self employed and could take off the 9th and work the 10th. You that are seriously interested in coming, let me know what would work better for you and I'll try to accommodate you...

Whatever is fine with me, weather providing, I'll be there, Ya got an address??

Getting the most folks there is the important thing Ya know!!

Hey, I don't have a job anymore!! and judging by how I'm so darn busy now that I'm am retired, I don't now how in the world I even had time for a job before!!

Man, you guys are going to put lots-o-miles on the F-150 for me! Count me in, I'll try and bring a couple friends, should be easy if they plow with my rig
1AA_dance2.gif

The Beans are off!!! So everything is a go here for the Heritage Plow Day. We took a couple of GT's out there yesterday and struck out. It is a really nice piece of land and plowed really well. With any luck, we will get a little rain between now and the 10th. It will make nearly perfect conditions. My uncle ground up the stubble really well and even running coulters, we only had one plug up in a couple of rounds. If we get good weather, it should be a great time of plowing. Please check in here or send me an email if you plan to attend so we can be prepared food wise.

Thanks Dave--the address is 3818 Ferry Lane, Omro, WI. We are located about 18 miles straight west of the Lake on the eastern portion of Wisconsin. We are about 75 miles north of Milwaukee and 65 miles south of Green Bay. There are a nice assortment of highways coming in to our location and it is really easy to find. When I get home from work tonight, I'll post some maps and maybe a flyer if I can get my publisher program to work! Like I said earlier, we have about four acres of land to park your trailers, campers, trucks and it is right next to the plowing site. We have about ten acres currently set aside for GT plowing but when they take of the beans on the south side of the barn, I'm gonna have him save us about 15 acres there in case of an overflow shortage (good weather--good turn out)!!!

Looking forward to seeing you there Dave! I hope that you can bring a couple more fellas along with you. I know that I was really impressed with the group of guys I met at BC I a couple of years ago.

Now for a little information on why I chose to call this event Heritage Plow Day. My family came to this country in the late 1800's from overseas. They were of German heritage and were looking for the freedom that the USA offered. They were also farmers and looking for a place that had similar soil and climates as to what they were used to. My Great grandfather and his family purchased a farm that is just up the road from the host farm that all attendees will be plowing at. My great grandfather and mother had 12 children and raised them there on the "Homestead". My grandfather married my grandmother in 1945 and they purchased the farm that you see here (slide circa 1968)...

299360.jpg

This is the host site of the HPD I. This is where my dad and his 5 siblings were raised. My grandparents passed away more than a decade ago but my dads youngest brother received the farm and cash crops the land to this day. His two boys are carrying on the tradition and one of them, Russell, went to Bluniers Plow Day last fall.

299361.jpg

This was the whole family at my grandparents 25th anniversary. My dad is on the left and my uncle Roger who now owns the farm and is hosting HPD I is on the left in the front!

The farm was a dairy farm from 1900 when the barn was built until 1992 when the cattle were sold and the land was used for cash cropping continuing through today. Many of my fondest memories as a child are centered around this place. I loved farming with my family. It was hard work but it was also very rewarding. My dads two older brothers own cash crop land adjacent to the homestead and before grandpa passed he gave my dad a couple of acres on which to build a house. So, my dad and his three brothers live within a mile of where they were born and raised. One lives in the same house and one on the same road! Here is my grandpa milking a cow (circa 1967)...

299362.jpg

The next couple of pictures were taken of my dads oldest brother plowing the very field that we will be plowing with our GT's! (circa 1969)

299363.jpg

299364.jpg

When I say Heritage, this land has been in my family for nearly 70 years and the property just up the road has been in my family for over 110 years! I really do hope that you guys can make it out to see the farm, visit with my relatives and neighbors, and play in the dirt!

299365.jpg

When you get off highway 21 by turning south on to Edgewater Ridge and then take a left on to Ferry Lane, that is the field that you will see. My parents house is now at the north end of that field as my dad took this pic on his way home from work in 1971. Then you will drive in the drive at 3818 Ferry Lane where you will go through the yard and across on to the lane right where my dad's second brother's GTO is sitting in this pic (circa 1972)...

299366.jpg

You will be able to choose a spot to park your rig and unload. It is raining heavy here right now but hopefully that will get out of its system and we will have nice weather all next week leading up to the big day. Last night we struck out and here are a couple of pics my cousin Mike took...

299367.jpg

My dad's (Dad in red shirt) freshly restored WH is in the front, my cousins 100 on the left, my son's 100 (THE MULE) in the middle-back, and Mike's White Knight in the Background (Dad's house behind that)...

299368.jpg

Once again, I hope that you can make it and if you have never been to one of these before, this would be a great time for you to come and check it out. Even if you don't have your own rig, I'd be happy to give you some seat time on one of mine. The Stertz family looks forward to seeing you soon...

Great post Josh,
Thank You for sharing.
While I won't be making the drive this time; I absolutely will if you make it an annual thing.

Heritage is so important and not everyone gets the opportunity to have a family deeply rooted, so it is indeed special.

Thanks for opening the gate!

Thanks Rick--I'll miss ya here but still planning on making the run your direction. We'd love to have you up in the future! Hopefully this will be the start of something...
cubwinker.gif

Back