• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Here's a long shot question!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Ok folks, I have an issue that you need to help me with. The story goes that these came direct from the Louisville plant from an old retired employee. That's all well and good except! There's something just not right here,
1f609.png
;-) The one on the left is the Roth version of IH-369180R1 and the one on the right has a part number of 39169R1. Both look to be NOS, but I can't find anything on the 39169R1 anywhere.

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 298
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 299
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 284
  • bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 278
  • bird5.jpg
    bird5.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 313
I found this on the Yesterday's Tractor Co store. I have a 706 and a 560 and both of them have one on them.
1582205941060.png
Hood Ornament, Chrome - For tractor models 200, 230, 240, 330, 340, 404, 444, 460, 504, 544, 560, 606, 656, 660, 664, 706, 756, 826, 2404, 2444, 2504, 2544.

Ok, just a guess. I've only got a 149, so don't have a hood ornament. Maybe someone at the factory was concerned about clothes, or tree branches, or ?? catching on the earlier hood ornament point? Maybe inspired by lawyers ?? How many of you CC guys have ever caught ANYTHING on that point? (if the answer is "not a lot", my theory goes out the window). So, I'm voting for "prototype part for engineering consideration". As such, it would be a museum piece, but provenance would be required to guarantee value . . .

Charlie,
Mount it on a hood and show us what it looks like please. I'm assuming you have an Original laying around there somewhere.

This reminds me of when Paul Bell built his model 70 or 100 Orchard Cub Cadet. He bolted the hood ornament on backwards so it wouldn't be catching those low hanging branches!

Just a thought. Could it possibly be for the truck division? And somehow was shipped along with the regular tractor part.

Charlie,

Generally IH part numbers ending with the -Rxx suffix (e.g. XXXXXX-R1, R2, R91...) had six digits preceding it. Five digit part numbers typically ended with a -Cx (e.g. YYYYY-C1, C91suffix), at least on the Ag side. I'm not saying that five digit Rx part numbers didn't exist, just don't recall seeing many like that. I can look in my old parts price book to see if that five digit part number was a good number back in the 80's. The suffix indicates the revision level of the part/engineering drawing. Not sure about the numbering scheme used on Motor Trucks but the five digit hood ornament looks like it would be used on a truck/pickup and reminds me of some of the IH emblems used on hoods back in the day.

I'm sure Dennis Frisk could provide more detailed information on IH's part number systems.

There's got to be another number, cause that part # fits a 1066 tractor rear axle shaft/gear Part #39169-R1

I got the magnifying glass out, and on the left side beside the screw hole there is a backwards 3.
1582237240124.png

Digger, the backwards 3 might mean cavity 3 in a multi cavity tool. When we have products produced in a multi cavity tool, we have each cavity numbered in case there is an issue with one cavity.

Digger, the backwards 3 might mean cavity 3 in a multi cavity tool. When we have products produced in a multi cavity tool, we have each cavity numbered in case there is an issue with one cavity.
Absolutely agree.
i worked in plastic for a decade and that was common practice.

Back