• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Help with Cub Cadet mower deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belts are the same length within reason between mfg, but did you buy an a89 or an 89in (a) belt there is a difference. Also if your mule drive is sloppy and your deck mounts are sloppy (and they are! Because it’s 40years old) you may need to drop a size ie a88 which is not an 88in belt google the sizes! Also I’ve never used an Oregon belt, used plenty of gates hi-power 2, which if I’m not mistaken is who ih original used. Or I. A pinch the green belts at tractor supply work great for a time.

I cant take any more slack out of the tensioner so I am thinking I will drop a belt size. Also, seems like the clearance between the belt and the mule drive is not very much at all. Perhaps 1/2" between belt and frame. Is this normal? I am so glad I found this group and I sincerely appreciate the tips gentleman.

A picture of the mule drive would be great and also the belt wrapper that your new belt came in so I know what the length is. Some times wrapper has the belt # as well as the length, ie tractor supply belts

I had the same kind of problems with my 1250. I recommend disregarding the " official" length, and instead using a belt length that makes BOTH pulleys below the PTO pulley directly in line, i.e. a straightedge across the flanges on the PTO just about touches the outside diameter of the idler pulleys. To get to that belt length, first align the adjustable pulley, (I had to put a ~2" tube over the tensioner threaded aduster to get it into line, I imagine it's bent somewhere, I'm sure it aint supposed to be that way, but whatever) then measure how far the sprung idler is from the ideal, and add/subtract from your existing belt. Ignore the the indicator notch on the sprung side. (if you don't know your current belt length, cut the damn thing and measure it. I went through a couple of belts in the year before I figured this out, but the ~inexpensive~ belt I got from tractor supply is working great.

I've repeated this so many times because it works....A piece of 1/2 rope stretched firmly between all pulleys gives you the length to measure. The variable is whether there is spring tension or not.The big wear factor on belts is the condition of pulleys.Belts wear on the sides not the bottom.If they are worn on the bottom they are running too deep in the pulley....worn out or not wide enough..rarely a pulley is worn out...

Gents, is there not much clearance between the belt and the plate on the mule drive? I am gonna drop down an inch or two on the belt and I think that will help the slop issue. Just seems like the spacing between the belt and the plate is not much, perhaps this can be adjusted out thru brackets. Thanks guys!

Josh, you originally said you had 1/2" clearance between the belt and frame.. That's quite a bit so it shouldn't be a problem.....lots of mfg have set pulleys so close to frame as a belt keeper scenario often less than 1/8" In those cases one has to remove a pulley to get a belt on or off...2 " of change is a lot

Gary, I will measure the clearance to be exact. I am not familiar with these machines and am just trying to find out what is normal. I love this little red cub!! She runs great and the hydrostatic transmission is awesome.

Current belt in use.

Attachments

• 16051431444361711503151304771426.jpg
    16051431444361711503151304771426.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 204
I have found many times previous owners have replaced an idler pulley with bigger or smaller to avoid buying a new one and of course this affects belt length....might want to run that backward before doing the belt length dance....you might have the right belt but....

Hmmm,,that's an interesting view point and normally I would check the pulleys on the deck however After buying the cub and mower I took the mower apart to clean and grease before mowing. All 3 pulleys had rotted away so I replace them. The spindles moved freely. I don't know about the idler pulleys below the electric pto.

Josh, I'm not pretending to know every thing but one thing for certain..never discount what a previous owner might have done....ex. last week a purchased mower....4 ft of 14/2 wire in and out of frame and wadded in places turned out to be battery ground. good luck you're on the right track by asking others..

Back