• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Help With 782......

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbertalotto

displayname
Rberrtalotto
Weldoes the ignition key also complete l, It started right up on the trailer with a battery jump, drove it off, ran around the yard a time or two......Then I hit the brakes and stalled it.

Now it won't start. Wont turn over with the ignition key but does crank over fine when relay is jumped.

Pulled the plugs and they are miss matched and a mess. I can't believe it ran as good as it did with these plugs!

I'm replacing with Champion RV-17YC or Denso T14PR-U as the Kohler site says for a KT-17s motor

My question is, does the ignition key also connect the coil for spark in some way? I think the ignition switch is bad as I had to twist it a couple times to start it on the trailer.

Hopefully with new plugs it will fire up again.....

I'm not seeing any voltage at the coil. I believe I should be seeing 12V on one of the small terminals on the coil.....When the ignition is on......Correct?

So far I've changed spark plugs, gaped to .025, drained all the fuel and installed a new inline fuel filter, charged the battery.........but still no start. I removed the ignition switch and the terminals were quite rusted. I sanded them and reassembled ......So frustrating as it was running so good.

I'm going to figure out the wiring diagram for the switch and jump it out tomorrow.......

Stay Tuned!

Maybe a seat or PTO safety shutoff intermittent bad? Test with wire from battery + to coil? If that works to start/run with jumping the relay, work backwards through the wiring harness. Test for power at each end of each wire. ?? Matt Gonitzke ?? I think, mentioned that these old wiring harnesses can look good, but still be bad internally. Jumper each safety switch in turn, testing between adding jumpers. (don't leave these on for running). My $0.02

Here's the wiring diagram for the tractor:

217201-jpg.125629

The PTO Switch:

217208-jpg.125634

Kraig-

Do you have the CCC 782 wiring diagram too? Judging by the black front axle and large serial number tag in the picture in his other thread, he has a CCC-built unit.

The wiring on this tractor is a mess. The seat switch is disconnected and the wires tied together. There are two fuses on the instrument panel. one on the left is empty. Not sure what it was for. The one on the right has a ten amp fuse.

There are a couple more wires on the back of the panel that are not connected to anything.

At some point I'll rewire the whole tractor. But for now I just want to get it running so I can do some work with it.

Kraig-

Do you have the CCC 782 wiring diagram too? Judging by the black front axle and large serial number tag in the picture in his other thread, he has a CCC-built unit.

All the diagrams are in a sticky at the top of the IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum area.

Here's a link to them: Roland's Fancy Colored Wiring Diagrams

Here's the later version of the schematic:

217212-jpg.125637

I have a 1641 and 2 149's, all have the push button switch (direct pressure) for the brakes. I also have a QT-17 Bolen's , now this one has a small spring from the brake pedal to the actuator on the brake switch, this spring has busted in the past. Not sure if your hitting the brakes stalled the motor or if it was a coincidence but hitting the brakes could have affected your brake switch (safety switch) making it inoperable, tractor won't start. This is where I would start.

GOT IT RUNNING!!!! Was a bad ignition switch AND a bad wire going to the coil. I ran a jumper from the battery to the coil and jumped the starter solenoid....VAROOOOM! Runs beautifully!

I ordered a new ignition switch but I jury rigged it with a toggle switch on the coil wire and a momentary contact button on the starter solenoid.......Kinda like a WWI BiPlane!

IMG_20200423_162751737_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200423_162756525.jpg

This weekend full fluid changes, air filter service and grease.......Did new spark plugs yesterday.....Not sure what else I should do.

So here is something strange......Tractor is in garage. I have a battery charger on the 7 year old battery, hope against hope that it can be recharged. An hour later battery charger shuts off with battery at 12.55V.......An hour after that the battery is at 12.10V and falling as I watch.....So I need a new battery.

But just to see if the tractor would start at 12.10V I flipped on the switch for the coil and the starter engaged! I shut it off and pressed my starter button and the starter engaged as it should.

I disconnected the coil wire from the battery and after 20 seconds I reconnected it. Flipped the switch on and nothing happened, starter didn't engage.

Pressed starter button and starter engaged (Battery wasn't strong enough to start engine on its own)

The only thing it appears I an missing is a 12V wire to the center terminal of the voltage regulator as shown in various diagrams I was sent . (BTW, where is the Voltage Regulator?)

Any ideas of what is going on here?

Resolved the "It Starts when Ignition Switch Is Activated"

I had left the key switch in the system, and it was shorted to "RUN" even when in the Off position. So turning on the coil started the engine. Disconnecting the key switch and it is back to normal.

Turn ignition (coil) on, hit "start" switch.....Varooom!

Back