• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello from Michigan 1872

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Ray, looks like the machine is all there. I have one I bought with bad governor and transmission 6 years ago. I have been working on it on and off for a while. I am finally working on paint, I have installed a 20hp magnum and a cyclops trans, upgraded the driveshaft. The cyclops donor tractor had 3 point and PTO so I put them on it.

Attachments

• 20220804_111200_HDR.jpg
    20220804_111200_HDR.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Nice Ray, looks like the machine is all there. I have one I bought with bad governor and transmission 6 years ago. I have been working on it on and off for a while. I am finally working on paint, I have installed a 20hp magnum and a cyclops trans, upgraded the driveshaft. The cyclops donor tractor had 3 point and PTO so I put them on it.
That's a great looking rig. I'm shooting for the same set up. I have a zero turn mower so I don't plan on mowing with it. I want some thing to pull my lawn roller, sprayer, and seeder for food plots and maybe push snow.

The knock off coils are cheaper for a reason! They have less windings in them, so the spark plugs will not receive the same amount of voltage, possibly causing harder starting. Also, they will not last as long! Personally, I don't really enjoy removing the engine and rear tins, so do it once, do it right!

There are two options for the governor gear. A steel gear that was used in the early K series Kohler singles will go right in, OR Kohler has an updated nylon gear that should last longer than the original issue. To replace the gear, the aluminum engine block must be split.

Carefully check the flywheel magnets. It is common for them to come loose, possible damaging the magnets and the stator. This will cause a no charge condition.
Thank you for the heads up on the flywheel. I was cleaning it up this morning and noticed the gaps were not equal between the magnets. I ended up pulling four loose with my hands and the other two took just a tap with the wire brush handle to break loose.

I acquired a 1872 from my friend and neighbor's wife after he passed away. He bought the tractor new, 1989 I think. This is my second cub. I restored a 169 that was in a barn when I bought my place in 2000. The 1872 had a stripped out spark plug hole and the blower housing was packed full of mice nests. This site is a treasure trove of information. Thanks, Ray
Been through the mouse thing! I had to replace a starter and I've seen links that say you have to pull the engine to replace. My Ford mechanic said "they like to tell you that" and replaced it without pulling the engine.

I am very happy for you! these are some really great tractors! I have the same 1872 - all stock however i am installing the extreme motor works 3 point on mine, and some ag tires with a 5lug taper wheel bearing HUB upgrade on 10" front rims. just like you I have a zero for lawn cutting so my tractor will be for groundwork only. currently I have just gotten back to working mine. the wheels and 3point are now prepped and ready for paint and install. - you got my attention on the "cyclops trans, upgraded the driveshaft." would you share the details with me on this part of your project. details. thanks Mark Shorkey. Waynesville GA.

Well, I'm not quite as happy right now because I think I've got a bad coil, but this monster has served me well. Have you seen the the "Cub Ca-debt" picture? Headers. Someday, mine might be that! I'll find the link...

No I have not but you can show me. When you get a chance can you share the information on the trans and drive shaft I would like to do some research on the upgrade you have done

Back